We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help with trip planning

Harleysville, Pa
Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
help with trip planning

My husband and I are planning an early June vacation to Yellowstone and Grand Teton and would also like to see some other areas of interest. Is it possible to have one base to see both areas, or is it too much driving? Would West Yellowstone area be a possible base?

We also are interested in going to Cody and Jackson if anyone has any comments for those locations.

Thanks!

Southeast PA
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: help with trip planning

If you are planning to spend a few days in Yellowstone, I'd suggest staying in the park, or in West Yellowstone. Then, to see Tetons and Cody, maybe plan to stay in Jackson. Yellowstone is much too interesting at dusk (animals) to have a long drive ahead of you for lodging that night. We stayed in W. Yellowstone last August, and the 1/2 hour drive back to the hotel was just fine after a long day. I wouldn't have wanted to drive to Jackson.

The Tetons are certainly well worth seeing, and I wish we could have gone to Cody. Definately try to fit those in ...but stay more that direction for those days.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help with trip planning

Hi kadyd

Well if you want to do both but have a base are one possible option is Flagg Ranch which is technically located between the two parks but is closer to Yellowstone end. Either that or stay a night or two in each. If you use Jackson as a base yes way to much driving. Jackson well worth it lots of places to see and things to do. Make sure you stop in at the Million Dollar Cowboy bar while there. Cody is a bit far but if its someplace you are really interested in then go for it. But it is a bit out there.

Hope this helps.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help with trip planning

Hit Cody either on your way into or out of the park. Definitely worth seeing but not as a home base. We've been to Yellowstone twice-first time stayed at Lake Yellowstone, last trip at Mammoth. Both trips drove to the Tetons for a day. Not too bad a drive from Lake Yellowstone but quite a trek from Mammoth. Tetons are pretty and Jackson is worth seeing but we prefer Yellowstone. West Yellowstone is probably not a bad home base but I recommend staying in the park. You could move around to different locations in Yellowstone and stay a night or 2 at one of the places in the Tetons. We've always come in thru Red Lodge, Montana which is another great little town and then hit Cody on our way home.