We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

red lodge to cooke city via beartooth

calgary
Level Contributor
94 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
red lodge to cooke city via beartooth

Hi again,

Now that I've decided to take the extra day and stay in Cooke City vs Gardiner. What I plan to to do is drive from Cody towards Red Lodge via Chief Joseph & Beartooth Hwy's then drive to Cooke City for the night. Is it worthwhile to drive all the way to Red Lodge for lunch or should we turn around before reaching the switchback's down to Red Lodge. Is the town worthwhile spending some time at? Thanks.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,515 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: red lodge to cooke city via beartooth

Red Lodge has a small, slightly interesting downtown, and would be worth strolling around if you were staying there overnight anyway. There are several restaurants in the same area. However, imho, I wouldn't make a special effort to reach Red Lodge. Cody or Jackson it ain't. And even after you're well down from the pass on the Montana side, it's still a long drive into Red Lodge (although the drive is real pretty). So, bottom line, I'd turn around as suggested in prior posts and head toward Cooke City.

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,403 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: red lodge to cooke city via beartooth

Only compelling reason for us to go down to Red Lodge would be a stop at the Red Lodge Ales brewery and tavern. New highly inovative micro-brewery with big windows in the tavern part to watch what might be going on at the time. Good sanwiches and a great sampler tray for trying various brews. Caution though because high elevation back up on Beartooth on return can multiply alcohol effects. A little time shopping after lunch would help. Some cute little (albeit touristy) shops on the main street downtown. If you have the whole day and are just going from Cody to Cooke City it's worth the little extra distance from the Rock Creek Vista viewpoint and doing the switchbacks. Base of the pass to Red Lodge is then only 14 miles.

Or...pack lunch in Cody and picnic at Clay Butte Lookout on way up and turn around ar Rock Creek..

Be flexible, a lot might depend on weather at the time. Afternoons can brew up storms on the high plateau at the top of the pass.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: red lodge to cooke city via beartooth

We once made the loop Cody-Red Lodge-Beartooth-Chief Joseph-Cody and it was wonderful. Cody to Red Lodge is 1 1/2 hour. What you can do is to drive to Red Lodge, Beartooth and on to Cooke City but you'll miss Chief Joseph. To answer your question, I would not drive on to Red Lodge and back same way. It's a lot of switchback down and up and you already are driving a lot of mountains...

Tet

4. Re: red lodge to cooke city via beartooth

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2012, 06:16