We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best book/source for camping info?

Level Contributor
326 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
best book/source for camping info?

I am planning a trip for late this summer (probably september) to hit up all sorts of parks out west (coming from the east coast). My list includes places like redwood, sequoia, yellowstone, yosemite, grand canyon, zion, and black canyon.

I really want to enjoy the outdoors as that is why we are going on the trip and while we will have to mix in a few nights of hotel/lodge stays to recharge a little I would really like to camp where the camping experience is exceptional...

Can you reccomend any books that cover the campgrounds out west at the national parks (and maybe some not at natl parks)? The perfect book it seems would offer info on which campground to chose and maybe even provide me with enough information to allow me to request a site in a certain area of the campground (though I may very well not get it).

thanks!

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best book/source for camping info?

Hi Robert,

Woodalls is a great place to start. Here is their web page and I'd suggest purchasing their book as well. They have Rv and campground listings and have high standards.

http://www.woodalls.com/

Hope this helps.

If you want help with Grand Canyon come and post in the Grand Canyon forum and we will gladly help you out.

Southeast PA
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: best book/source for camping info?

If you're going to hit all those parks, I'd strongly suggest purchasing a National Parks Pass for $50.00.. It's good for 12 months, and covers admission to National Parks across the country. Most of the large parks charge $20.00 admission, so your pass will pay you back quickly!

This can be bought on line, and you'll then have it before your trip...The first time you use it, the 12 months start ticking away..

Southeast PA
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: best book/source for camping info?

Forgot to mention that the pass is good for everyone in your vehicle...

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best book/source for camping info?

I agree with PA Yankee-order the pass and do it at least a month ahead of time to make sure you have it before you go-like previous post said, does not activate until first time you use it.

Also, seeing as I am librarychick-check with your local library regarding a National Park campground book-there has to be something out there. I have one for Wisconsin State Parks that is wonderful so I'm sure there is something out there that your library has or can order in for you that would have the information you need.