We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary and Hotel suggestios

skaneateles,NY
Level Contributor
95 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary and Hotel suggestios

In the inhitial (late I know) planning stages for 2 couples(mid sixties, heathy physicians and nurses) flying from East coast to see primarily GNP and Yellowstone for first time.

So far will arrive in Spokane 9 pm 9/3/11, rent car and stay in holiday inn express in Coeur d'Alene. Drive the next morning and stay in Whitefish (2 nights 9/4 and9/5)at a Good Medicine Lodge to explore west GNP and environs. Have a reservation(only could get one night for 9/6 at Many hotel. Would prob like another night or 2 in East Glacier.Next have reservation for now at Canyon Lodge frontier cabins for9/9 -9/11 and was able to fin rooms for on night only at OF Snow Lodge for 9/10. Our plane departs from Jackson on9/13 at 7am. Should Icancel one night at Canyon and move to Snow lodge for one night? How else should I fill in the itinerary. We like to hike but we also enjoy good food , wine etc

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
7,143 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary and Hotel suggestios

I'd suggest that you spend the last 2 nights (9/11 and 9/12) in Jackson. Visit GTNP during the day and have a good dinner during the evening.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
32,630 posts
448 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary and Hotel suggestios

If you are arriving at 9 pm to Spokane then the airport is on the west side and I would not want to drive all the way to Coeur d'Alene at night. We did your trip last August. We stayed on the east side of Spokane in a new Hampton Inn which was very nice. We shopped for a cheap cooler and drinks and snacks the next morning at the Walmart and were on our way to Kalispell. We sure to stop at the Lake in Coeur d'Alene then make your way to Polson and Flathead Lake before continuing on to Whitefish.

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,459 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary and Hotel suggestios

Post Falls would be a litle closer to aiprport than Coeur d'Alene (just a little) but still in Idaho where lodging and sales tax is lower than WA. Also a great place for breakfast there is the Old European Breakfast House

http://oldeuropean-restaurant.com/pf.html

Very different and great food..

Sounds like night of 9/12 at least should be in Jackson so perhaps check for lodging options there. With that early a flight there would not be time to get there from anywhere else. So as TetonBill suggests make that a base for both nights.

Edited: 02 March 2011, 17:49
Mentioned in this post
Idaho
Idaho
United States
skaneateles,NY
Level Contributor
95 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary and Hotel suggestios

Thanks TetonBill. I think we will stay in Jackson the last 2 nights. How much time do we need to leave for the early airport trip? Should we drop of our rental car the night before and if so are their shuttles to the airport. Hotel suggestions?Thanks

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
7,143 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary and Hotel suggestios

The airport will tell you to arrive 2 hours before the flight. But I generally arrive at 5:45 for a 7am flight and find that allows plenty of time to check a bag and get through security. Coming from a motel in town, it's 9 miles to the airport. So leaving your motel at 5:30 should be about right.

Check with the rental desk at the airport on whether you can leave your rental car that early. If you must drop it off the night before at the airport, then you can get a cab or shuttle. Here's shuttle information and rates:

http://www.jacksonholealltrans.com/

Here's information on cabs and cab fares:

www.jacksonholeairport.com/airport-guide/

Since you might be without a car on the last night, I'd stay walking distance to the center of town. There are several nice motels that are walking distance: Wort Hotel; Ranch Inn; 49er Inn; Rustic Inn; Homewood Suites; Lexington.

Edited: 03 March 2011, 01:01
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,852 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary and Hotel suggestios

Sounds like a great trip... here's some ideas and input. I would take a few days off of Glacier and add those to YS and Tetons.

Day 1 9/3/11 - Arrive and drive to lodging somewhere or stay near airport. You really won't be saving that much time to drive after a long flight with a late arrival.

Day 2 9/4 - To Whitefish. Maybe a stop in Kalispell for lunch.

Day 3 9/5 - Whitefish and Glacier

Day 4 9/6 - Glacier - Many Glacier

Day 5 9/7 - To YS - maybe West YS or Gardiner -

Day 6 9/8 - YS

Day 7 9/9 - Canyon Lodge

Day 8 9/10 - Canyon Lodge

Day 9 9/11 - Morning YS then to Tetons - look at Jackson Lake Lodge or someplace in Jackson

Day 10 9/12- Tetons NP/Jackson

Day 11 9/13 - depart early

st louis
Level Contributor
264 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary and Hotel suggestios

I just made reservations at the Rustic Inn 9/6-9/7. We stayed there in 2005.It was good then.They have upgraded now and it looks really good. We are staying in a cabin.It is a easy walk to downtown.

8. Re: Itinerary and Hotel suggestios

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 23:19