We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Government Shutdown?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
120 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Government Shutdown?

I have been following the possible government shutdown, and although we have a two-week hold for the time being, does anyone know how this affects the summer months? Are we simply prohibited from entering the park if there is a shutdown?

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
7,022 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Government Shutdown?

I believe what happens is that park entrances will are closed. That means you won't be able to get a vehicle into Yellowstone or past any entrance in Grand Teton NP. Route 89 will be open between Jackson and Moran Jct., even though it goes through GTNP, but the park entrances at Moose and just north of Moran will be closed. The road to Kelly that goes around Antelope Flats will be open. That's as best as I understand it.

For whatever it's worth, Yellowstone - notwithstanding its size - is a very small part of the public lands here. We live in a contiguous parklike area the size of West Virginia, and Yellowstone accounts for less than one-tenth of it. So there's a lot more to see than just Yellowstone.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
120 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Government Shutdown?

Hi tetonbill,

Thanks. It's a little ridiculous that closing the parks is even a consideration, as they are public lands. But you are right, the surrounding areas are beautiful, and worth seeing whether the parks are open or closed. Thanks again :)

Christchurch
Level Contributor
652 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Government Shutdown?

Hi All

I know this sounds a bit thick - but I have just been reading what happened last time there was a Goverment shutdown in the US - so all the parks closed for about month - then opened - and looking at the news on the web (sorry we live in CHCH NZ and have had nothing but quake news for the last 10 days) it appears you are heading for this again - what would this mean - a long term shutdown this time??? - that is would it affect travel in July this year????

Kiwi

KCK
Level Contributor
867 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Government Shutdown?

Just personal opinion, but I can't see a government shutdown that would last till summer. A compromise will be worked out within a month I would say.

Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,506 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Government Shutdown?

I always wonder what would happen if you ended up in the park via a hike from a less travelled entrance such as a trail from a neighboring Public Land such as a National Forest or Wilderness during a gov shutdown.

The Jedidiah Smith Wilderness in my "backyard" eventually meets up w/Grand Teton Park as you head East. its very far from any trailheads from the park road. If they can't even afford to keep the parks open, are they going to apply the law enforcement necessary to enforce and keep out "poachers" that hike or ski the backcountry???

I say this somewhat jokingly but really? Come on. I'd be curious to get a Rangers comment on this situation. Any legal infraction in the park has sooo many more implications due to its Federal nature.

Edited: 04 March 2011, 22:33
Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
7,022 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Government Shutdown?

We'll take a pack trip this summer that will start near Cody and cross through the southern part of Yellowstone, and if the park is closed it won't make the slightest difference.

London, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Government Shutdown?

This is crazy news if it happens!

If this government shutdown does go ahead,

when will it likely to happen?

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
4,685 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Government Shutdown?

Midnight tonight.

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,194 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Government Shutdown?

Last shutdown lasted 26 LONG days December 1995 to January 1996.

I worked for the US Forest Service and it was a total mess, before,during and after. Its the good government employees that suffer and are put thru all this!

It does affect your life in more ways than you can imagine.

10. Re: Government Shutdown?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 17:15