We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice needed for disabled photographer

Tulsa, Oklahoma
4 posts
Save Topic
Advice needed for disabled photographer

We are planning to visit YNP June 10-12. My husband likes to take pictures, but he uses a cane and can only walk short distances. Our adult son will be with us. Can anyone recommend a suitable tour (we're on a budget)? I will be doing a lot of driving on this trip and I would prefer not to drive while in the park.

Bristol
Level Contributor
4 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice needed for disabled photographer

There is a group here in England known as photographers with disabilities www.photographerswithdisabilities.com I wonder if there is a similar group in America who could give advice on this

Bristol
Level Contributor
4 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice needed for disabled photographer

There is a group in england called photographers with disabilities www.photographerswithdisabilities.com and I am wondering if there is a similar group in thestates who may be able to help you.

Chris Taylor

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice needed for disabled photographer

Have you seen this, from the YNP website?

www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/photobus.htm

In understand your reluctance to drive even more, but you will find the park roads easy to navigate (simple figure 8 configuration with a few exceptions), and many, many, pullouts at viewpoints. These are level, accessible, and often wildlife will be observable. BTW, some folks bring folding chairs.

And your son can share the driving.

He, and you, should have the camera ready; wildlife appears often on and beside the roads.

If you have not seen the geyser areas, they are for the most part quite accessible.

Edited: 06 May 2011, 16:25
Tulsa, Oklahoma
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice needed for disabled photographer

Thank you--I'll check out the link!

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,445 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice needed for disabled photographer

My wife alternately uses cane and wheelchair (depending on distance) and with the exception of a few older areas from the CCC days (like Yellowstone Falls viewpoints) Yellowstone is very accessible. In the Lamar Valley (notable wildlife area) the pullouts are all paved and have easy access to toilets (pit type). Often these are at elevated points along the road where viewing from car may be possible without any walking. The geyser and hot springs areas are for the most part ramped or have boardwalks with few stairs and when there are stairs (like at Mammoth Hot Springs) there are railings. Also common are benches for resting. We have also noted that most of the picnic areas have paved paths at least part way to picnic tables.

6. Re: Advice needed for disabled photographer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 00:18
Get answers to your questions about Yellowstone National...