We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please critique this plan through YNP and GTNP.

Indiana
Level Contributor
36 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Please critique this plan through YNP and GTNP.

I'll be in Bozeman, MT sometime in September. It's a work trip and we would like to trip to piggyback a sightseeing road trip through Yellowstone and GTNP afterwards.

So, this is what I've come up with, feel free to tell me if it sounds completely delusional:

Day 1: Drive from Bozeman, MT to Mammoth Hot Springs, WY (~85 miles) and back to Gardiner, MT to stay overnight.

Day 2: Gardiner, MT- Colter Bay, WY. Down the east side of Grand Loop Road..Tower Fall, Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone, Hayden Valley, Yellowstone Lake, and then down to Colter Bay (~118 miles.) We could head out at the crack of dawn to get to all these spots. I'm guessing we would spend four hours driving at the very most. That would leave plenty of time in between stops to get out and sight see so we could get to the hotel in Colter Bay before dark. Right? We frequently road trip long distances, so I don't think the driving is an issue. We won't be able to get out and go to far from our vehicle because my husband is disabled, he could go for short walks but there won't be any hiking or anything like that.

Day 3: Colter Bay- Jackson (~40 miles.) We would Teton Park Rd to Wyo Centennial Scenic Byway.

Day 4: Fly out of Jackson.

A few questions now:

I've heard that some roads are not paved. Are they still accessible by car?

I'd also welcome any tips on points of interest on that route.

This is just a rough draft because I just started planning this, so if you have better and alternate suggestions I'm open to suggestions. We can't extend the length of time, unfortunately.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
23,788 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please critique this plan through YNP and GTNP.

Well, I would probably go from Bozeman down to West Yellowstone. You should arrive there in time to zip in to do some of the Old Faithful area and geyser basins, heading back out to West Yellowstone for the night.

Day 2, up early, head in to Madison Jct, turn Left, head for Canyon. Do the Canyon area, head South thru Hayden Valley stopping at Mud Volcano, LeHardy Rapids, Fishing Bridge,and West Thumb if you have time on your trip to Colter Bay.

All the roads in Yellowstone are paved except Blacktail Plateau, but you won't be in that area and it would take too long for the short time you have.

I believe the only road that is unpaved in the GTNP area is Moose-Wilson Rd. One of the folks who live in that area will jump in with that info and recommendations for your day in GTNP.

During this trip, you can decide when you will be back!!

Pam

2. Re: Please critique this plan through YNP and GTNP.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 17:19