We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GTNP & YPNP twisty roads?

Atlanta, Georgia
6 posts
Save Topic
GTNP & YPNP twisty roads?

I will be travelling through both parks on a 10 day journey with a 12 year old with a tendency to car sickness. From what I can tell the driving is slow with lots of stops and starts. We plan on doing longer hikes most days so hopefully our driving would be limited to getting to the trailheads.

Do want to ask though, are there lots of curves and turns to deal with? Wondering if I should pack non-drowsy dramamine to be safe...

Lakeville, MN
Level Contributor
37 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GTNP & YPNP twisty roads?

My son used to get motion sickness and dramamine didn't help that much. I got him a wristband motion sickness relief band. It sounds crazy but it worked great with him. He would wear it all day from the time he got up til bedtime. Here's the link. http://www.sea-band.com/

Atlanta, Georgia
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: GTNP & YPNP twisty roads?

great suggestion! will check into that for sure. thanks!

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,459 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: GTNP & YPNP twisty roads?

Yellowstone has more twisty roads than Grand Teton. In particular fro mMammoth Hot Springs to Tower Jct. and then from there to Canyon the roads weave back and forth a lot. So these may be areas to watch out for even driving slowly. otherwise areas in the geyser basins are pretty much OK. The short stretch along the river from the south entrance to Old Faithful does have some back and forth curves too. But not too bad.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: GTNP & YPNP twisty roads?

... and if he is prepared to see wildlife before you adults, it might well keep his mind off the driving. Also, along this line, you might sign him up with the Junior Ranger Program (or its equivalent depending on age). His own camera will help as well.

Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,939 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: GTNP & YPNP twisty roads?

The worst part for me (I get motion sickness) was the drive up over Dunraven pass from Canyon. I pop a 24 hour dramamine every morning when traveling. That type is touted as "less drowsy" and it is. As a kid, I took the regular stuff and slept most of the vacation while in the car :) New stuff is way better, but needs to be the 24 hour type.

Edited: 11 June 2011, 18:33
6. Re: GTNP & YPNP twisty roads?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 17:21