We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

!st Week October where to stay? things to do? Adults

Marana, Arizona
Level Contributor
75 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
!st Week October where to stay? things to do? Adults

My husband and I are thinking of going to Yellowstone. He has off beginning of Oct the earliest we could leave is Sept 27 flying in and start in the park on Sept 28. I am thinking about staying at one of the chain hotels in West Yellowstone.They would be open whereas many in the park will be closing.

We would like to take a bus tour or some sort of other informative guiadance. Any recommendations?

Also other things to do like maybe a "Wild West dinner" or something not too corny that people would recommend.

I have been reading, with interest other people's posts we don't have to gear activities to children. Although we will not be doing any big hikes or staying too far away from available lunch or dinner places!!

Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,331 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: !st Week October where to stay? things to do? Adults

Hi,

The trail ride/cook out, the closest thing you'll come to in the park to what you are referring to ends Sept 4th in Roosevelt.

Here is a link to permitted transportation providers; however, I find it best to do it on your own - especially since that time of year, it might be difficult to find a tour operating that is working. They mostly work in the summer months.

www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/transbusn.htm

Have you visited the nps.gov/yell link about for other ideas/closures etc yet? I find it most informative.

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: !st Week October where to stay? things to do? Adults

We often visit YNP at that time frame on way to/from Seattle. A favortie place of ours to stay is north or YNP at Chico Hot Springs. About a 30 minute drive to the park at Mamoth Hot Springs. At that time of year the Elk herd there is in rut and very active.

Chico has lots of activities (besides hot springs soaking) including trail rides and a spa. The restaurant is excellent and they have a snack bar and tavern as well. Best airport alternative for there is Bozeman, MT or Billings, MT. Main lodge room are rustic and some are pretty cheap, Fishermans Lodge is basic motel rooms and they have all the way up to luxury chalets so a wide range of accomodations.

http://www.chicohotsprings.com/

We are about 50/50 on snow versus warm sunshine at that time of year. You never can tell.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
19,545 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: !st Week October where to stay? things to do? Adults

West Yellowstone is a terrific place to stay in September. The elk are bugling all along the Madison River on the way into the park from West Yellowstone. Saw lots of big bulls gathering up the girls along there the last week of Sept last year.

There are some guided tours out of West Yellowstone, assume they are still running that time of year, but Yellowstone is pretty easy to get around so if you are renting a car to get from the airport to West Yellowstone, you can drive into the park. Last year all of the Ranger led programs were closing down that week.

If you are planning to stay in West Yellowstone then Bozeman would be closest to fly in to. People often fly into Salt Lake City but you've got a 6hr drive to get to West Yellowstone.

Pam

4. Re: !st Week October where to stay? things to do? Adults

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 16:15