We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

planning a trip

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
planning a trip

thinking of yellowstone for summer 2012. Never been,is summer ridiculously crowded to the point where we will be annoyed. We did the southwest national parks in summer and although many people it did not bother me at all. Also recommendations on how to split up an 8 day trip.....what parts????

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
4,561 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: planning a trip

I wouldn't worry to much about crowds. The only place that ever really feels crowded is Old Faithful and that is really during prime time 10:30am-3pm. If you stay at Old Faithful you'll be out exploring while everybody else is there. It's positively peaceful after 5pm or before 10am. In my nearly 4months worth of trips over the years I've had to circle a parking lot for a spot at one of the thermal features maybe a half dozen times.

Split the trip into stays at two or three separate locations, preferably at opposite sides of the park. It'll reduce the amount of driving and give you more time to sightseeing or hiking. Stay in the park if possible. Make reservations now. Wait till next spring you'll be kicking yourself. My preference for lodging is Old Faithful > Canyon > Roosevelt > Lake > Mammoth > Grant.

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: planning a trip

Thank you so much....I just may be asking you lots more questions if youre up to it!!!!

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: planning a trip

Splitting your time is personal choice, but I'd say 5 and 3 days in each. Do not underestimate the size of YNP. See advice to Greenthum, above.

4. Re: planning a trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 21:19
Get answers to your questions about Yellowstone National...