We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SOLO Travel to YNP - help needed

Melbourne, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
SOLO Travel to YNP - help needed

Hi I am travelling solo and want to experience YNP.. I have looked for tours but can't find anything (I dont want to drive around on my own that wouldnt be much fun). I am looking at travelling late-Sept early Oct (coming from Australia - then from San Fran) - can get myself to a City or Town for tour start and end... and would like to spend at minimum 3 days looking around.

I have searched the net and can't really find anything that isnt just a day long... any suggestions or tips would be greatly aprreciated.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SOLO Travel to YNP - help needed

See if there is something here for you, but know that you are coming quite late and many services and lodgings will have closed. If you choose to drive the park solo, you'll meet and perhaps get to know folks at all of the viewing areas and boardwalks, as well at any of the open lodges.

yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/opening-cl…

nps.gov/yell/…open_closedates.htm

www.yellowstoneassociation.org/institute/

yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/…

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,521 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SOLO Travel to YNP - help needed

https:/…courseCalendar.aspx

You might take a look at the Yellowstone Institute's course offerings. They produce a high quality program, don't know if any would meet your interests.

What you could do is do one of their tours, then stay a few days extra to see things you missed.

Be aware that Yellowstone starts shutting down in Sept. and weather can be *iffy*. It was totally gorgeous LAST Sept but who knows what this year will bring!

nps.gov/yell/…open_closedates.htm

If you are planning to tour SF, you might want to get to Yellowstone earlier rather than later in your trip.

Pam

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,521 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SOLO Travel to YNP - help needed

LOL Voyaging, you beat me, but our posts are timed the same!

Pam

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SOLO Travel to YNP - help needed

Smile...

To the OP, it's unclear how you'd get to YNP. And I agree, if possible change your itinerary and come to the park earlier. Glad you will have 3 days there; you'll use them well.

Ohio
Level Contributor
253 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SOLO Travel to YNP - help needed

If you are looking for a tour, check out the following:

www.caravan.com/tour/usa-mount-rushmore

monogramstravel.com/booking/…

The Caravan tours seems very popular and books up fast. I am booked for Sept 11 and this date was sold out by April. They have tours leaving every day so if you are flexible - you may be able to find dates that work for you.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
246 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SOLO Travel to YNP - help needed

Hi there! I had just come back from a trip to YNP and GTNP completely Solo (well for the first 5 days in the parks) and would like to offer my opinion. First, perhaps because I like to stop where I want and when I want I prefer traveling the national parks alone. The Visitor Centers are wonderful. The maps are also very helpful so you will not get lost. As stated above, you will meet people at the viewing areas and boardwalks. I stopped at every visitor center to talk to the rangers and get information, walk around, and just relax a bit. They were great for rest stops. I felt completely safe and comfortable. The National parks are definitely where I would travel alone.

My point is if you are just looking for companionship to be with other people and transportation around the park then yes take the daily park tours. If you are there to explore the park then doing it alone is really not bad. It was easy to get around, the roads are safe, and the map is outstanding. Bring your camera! In addition, try to plan out "what" you would like to see. To be honest three days will not be enough to really see the entire park. It is huge! I was up early and left late every day. I took photos in bad lighting because I didn't want to miss anything. I decided this first trip for me was basically a "scouting" trip. Yellowstone National Park is by far my favorite and I will be back but now I really know what to expect.

The bottom line is that you will be fine traveling the park alone and maybe it won't be as much as being with other people but you will be mesmerized by the beauty of it all. It's all about the "Experience".

7. Re: SOLO Travel to YNP - help needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 22:18