We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When is the fall wolf hunt likely to start in Idaho?

Perth
Level Contributor
199 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
When is the fall wolf hunt likely to start in Idaho?

Hi to all tripadvisor people and thank you so much for everyones help with our upcomming trip.

Firstly let me say I am disgusted. I love wolves, I love all wildlife - but wolves are my favourite animal. Twelve years ago I visited Yellowstone on my honeymoon - the wolves had only recently been re-introduced (a few years previously) and we were desperate to catch a sight. By pure luck we witnessed a pack of wolves at a kill by the side of the road and that was one of the best moments of my life. I remember it vividly - it ranks up there with the moment my children were born. At that time there was a lot of love for the wolf and their success in the area was just inspiring.

Now 12 years on we are planning a return trip in September as a second honeymoon and during my research I have found many stories about how the wolves have been taken off the endangered species list and that there is due to be a wolf hunt in the fall pending Judge Molloy's ruling.

I truly despair. Surely there has to be another way? Has the human race really gone backwards? I am deeply saddened and disheartened.

Our upcomming trip has cost us in excess of $20000 (not including flights from Australia), that money is going into the US economy - it will all be spent in US shops and business - if it weren't for the wolf we would probably have gone to Canada.

But, getting off my soapbox I do have a question, hence the post. I see that hunting is supposed to commence in the fall and wonder if someone knows when the fall technically starts. We plan to do some exploring in Jackson outside of national parks and I dont want my 2 young children exposed to gunshots and hunters. We are there in mid September and will be camping in an RV.

Thanks in advance for anyones help.

Perth
Level Contributor
199 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When is the fall wolf hunt likely to start in Idaho?

Apologies the title of thread was supposed to say Idaho/Wyoming

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,019 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When is the fall wolf hunt likely to start in Idaho?

Well, there are differing thoughts on the topic of wolves and it is a guaranteed hot topic but it's hard if you don't live in Idaho, Wyoming or Montana to understand all the issues related to wolves. I want you to understand I am not a hunter, have never fired a gun, don't intend to fire one. BUT there is a huge difference in seeing wolves in Yellowstone and having them literally in your backyard.

The wolves are the *top* of the food chain.

Wolves have been documented near the small town where I live in N. Idaho. A couple of years ago they took a dog out of the front yard of a house less than 2 miles out of town, and the dog had been in the yard with children. It was during the daytime and pretty scary as the dog and the kids had been running thru the woods near their house. We are by no means located in the wilderness. Our town is a bedroom community for 2 major universities along with being an agricultural area. At that time we had an elderly golden retriever who liked to sleep outside in our fenced yard in the summer because she liked the cooler temperatures. We were told by Fish and Game that it was NOT recommended we continue this due to the presence of wolves in our area and the danger it would present to the dog. Ugh.

They are also pretty elusive and hard to kill. The Sheriff deputies in a county near us were authorized to shoot wolves near a small mountain town. The snow was deep this winter, the elk moved into town and the wolves followed their food source. Here is a link to a local paper, I think it will work for you to at least see the first paragraph.

lmtribune.com/northwest/article_35a5ad03-f2f…

And a followup news story:

lmtribune.com/northwest/article_da1d79a8-00d…

Please dont judge us until you have more facts in the issue. It's not like there is a line between wilderness and populated areas. The wolves don't know they are supposed to stay in the wilderness! If they can't take an elk, a family pet or a hunting dog is a good substitute for them.

It doesn't look like the season in Idaho has been set yet. Here is a link.

fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/hunt/…

By the way, hunting season would include lots of game besides wolves and in any event you would need to check locally on where hunting is going on. Were you planning on hiking in the National Forest areas? There is of course no hunting in National Parks.

Pam

(who debated and debated over how to answer this and whether to answer this...)

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,712 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When is the fall wolf hunt likely to start in Idaho?

Many zones in Wyoming open to hunting in early September. Although the schedule varies, the general order of hunting, as you progress through the fall, is black bear, antelope, deer, elk and moose. Wolves are not yet hunted in Wyoming, although that may change soon since the state and federal governments are working on a plan for Wyoming similar to what exists now in Idaho and Montana. In general terms, the Wyoming plan would protect wolves inside Yellowstone, GTNP and a small surrounding zone; inside an even larger area during parts of the year; designate a hunting season for wolves in an area in northwest Wyoming; and allow wolves (as varmints) to be shot on sight at any time in the remainder of the state, to protect cattle and sheep herds.

The problem with wolves is that they have become too successful and are having a big, bad impact on the moose and elk populations. They also kill a lot of cattle and sheep. The plans in Idaho and Montana, and the one being negotiated for Wyoming, try to balance the protection of the wolves against the enormous harm they are causing.

Wolves are vicious predators; ask any rancher in Idaho, Montana or Wyoming. A pack will attack a sheep herd and go into a killing frenzy, rip apart a dozen sheep and lambs, eat a few, and leave the rest to rot.

Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,429 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When is the fall wolf hunt likely to start in Idaho?

Its difficult to understand unless you live in this area or want to become familar with the entire picture. People who don't reside in the area, but love to visit, fail to consider the affect the reintroduction has had on much of the surrounding areas, lifestock and wildlife. If wolves were reintroduced in their area that they live in, or say another "beautiful animal (carnivore)" with no known predators to keep them in balance with the ecosystem, they might think differently as well. I have heard of at least 3 instances where wolves have stalked and killed a pet dog or other domestic animal, just for fun, or sport.

But if you want to shield your family from hunting issues, you might have to worry more about seeing the occassional elk in the back of the truck during that visit. I'm not a fan of people who can't cover up their kills out of consideration for others who it might offend.

Speaking of wolves - Teton Bill - are you back from the Thoroughfare?

Edited: 27 July 2011, 18:18
Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,712 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When is the fall wolf hunt likely to start in Idaho?

BlueBirdDay, yes I'm back, thank you.

We went from Turpin Meadow, north into the Teton Wilderness, past Enos Lake, over Two Ocean Pass, across the Yellowstone River, up to the top of Hawk's Rest, forded the Thorofare River, up to the Thorofare Cabin, east across Deer Creek Pass into the Washakie Wilderness and out the Deer Creek Trail, for a total of around 75 miles. From all appearances, we were the first people this summer to ford the Thorofare (very difficult crossing, with swimming horses and strong currents), and we were definitely the first to cross over Deer Creek Pass (10,400'). We had to shovel a lot of snow to make it across and lead the horses and mules most of the way due to high snow and slippery, steep mountainsides. We almost lost 3 animals (tied with pig string) in a slide. I'm glad to be back on one piece.

Edited: 27 July 2011, 18:26
Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,429 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When is the fall wolf hunt likely to start in Idaho?

That sounds.... um "fun"??? Or maybe fun under difficult drier circumstances. Were you committed to taking it during this time, and you couldn't delay it for a bit more snow melt?

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,712 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: When is the fall wolf hunt likely to start in Idaho?

We had already postponed it once and it would have been hard to schedule.

The trip was great fun, but I admit it's not for everyone. Getting over the pass, however, was grueling. At one point, I was sliding down a snowy mountainside on my butt, leading 2 sliding horses right behind me, hoping I wouldn't get run over. The trails hadn't been cleared in the Washakie, and we were constantly sawing fallen trees and leading horses through tangled deadfall. Reminds me of the line from that old cowboy song. "The West, boys, she ain't broke to ride."

Edited: 27 July 2011, 18:58
Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
5,501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: When is the fall wolf hunt likely to start in Idaho?

Teton Bill......glad that you made it back safely. Sounds like the pass was quite tense. I admire people like you. Oh.....by the way......how did your experiment with "the device" go? ; ) LOL

Deb

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,712 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: When is the fall wolf hunt likely to start in Idaho?

Thanks, Deb.

The "device" worked just great at night. I got to stay inside my warm sleeping bag and avoided (because I voided) going outside in the middle of the night. We had serious grizzly bear issues a couple of nights, and I really didn't want to go wandering around outside my tent, causing the dog to bark, knowing everyone was sleeping next to a firearm and feeling a bit tense.

I didn't ever try using the "device" while riding my horse. I just couldn't quite figure out the body mechanics. And if I had fallen off my horse and been hurt, I can't even imagine trying to explain the injury to my friends. Probably would have been written up in the Jackson paper.

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
2,828 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: When is the fall wolf hunt likely to start in Idaho?

Getting back to the original question: If you check the various states' Dept of Wildlife websites you can find the dates for their hunting seasons.

In MT, archery season starts in early Sept. - opening dates for different animals/weapons are staggered throughout the next 2 months : http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/