We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

teton scenic byway

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
179 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
teton scenic byway

How scenic is the teton scenic byway(http://www.idahobyways.gov/byways/teton.aspx)? We will be driving from Jackson Hole to West Yellowstone, so could either take 191 or this byway..

Thanks!

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,287 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: teton scenic byway

The distance from Jackson to West is the same, either taking the byway or through YNP. The byway is scenic, although the park route is probably more so.

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: teton scenic byway

The area on the byway around Swan Valley is one of the pretiest rural spots I have ever seen. And there are unique views of Tetons from "the back side". But if you have never seen them from the GTNP side and will not be returning to Jackson I would say definitely do the park. View from that side is not to be missed.

Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,308 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: teton scenic byway

For wide open views, I like the byway, but then again I partial. I commute to Jackson everyday from Driggs, so I love going the other direction to Yellowstone.

I find the stretch between Last Chance and Island Park Id to West Yellowstone more scenic than the park (if you like river/lake views). Many times we simply end up in this area for the weekend vs heading into the park.

I would stick to the park if you won't be able to visit the southern end if you decide the byway route; however, this route is fast(er) than driving through the park.

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
179 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: teton scenic byway

Thanks all for the valuable inputs.. our flight is to and from Jackson Hole, so I guess we'll take byway on the way up and the park road when returning..

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
179 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: teton scenic byway

Are there any side roads we could take with country-side views? Barns/farms, horses etc with mountains in the background? Anything in the Jackson - West Yellowstone area will be perfect!

Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,308 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: teton scenic byway

Take the Mesa Falls scenic route which loops out and back to where you need to be, and allow some time to go down there and check it out. Its pretty impressive .http://www.byways.org/explore/byways/2047/

The intial route out of Tetonia through Felt and Ashton will give you plenty of farm land views w/the Tetons to the right automatically. You'll have enough farm land and broken down barns automatically. You'll have more than your fill LOL.

Its nice that you are doing this b/c Teton Valley is on a kick to really get people to start travelling this route. It will help our local businesses, and how knows, one day, there might be enough business that I can also work where I live :) Thank you for doing it! You won't be dissapointed. tetonvalleychamber.com/blog/…

On another note, depending on your time of travel, there are some cool spots to stop for ice cream or food in Teton Valley. Warbirds at the airport for great lunch or dinner (sit outside on the runway and watch the wealthy arrive on their jets) as is Scratch in Victor for homemade food or the Knotty Pine Dinner Club for awesome bbq. The Victor Emporium for Huckleberry Milkshakes or the Creamery in Driggs (I forget the name) for home made ice cream made w/local products.

LOL, I guess I should quit my highly paid tripadvisor job and work for the Chamber (kidding - I don't get paid).

I guess we love where we live, and there is a reason for it. It is just as beautiful as the park, on the flip side of the Tetons. It has a lot to offer, but due to our economy, its stagnant growth as well - a bedroom community, but a wonderful one at that.

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
179 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: teton scenic byway

Thanks BlueBirdDay! We love exploring local eateries and shops and your suggestions sounds great.. will definitely try them out, plus we always prefer the less touristy sides to the crowded parts..

8. Re: teton scenic byway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 02:16