We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Relaxation and privacy in Gardiner or W Yellowstone

Boston...
Level Contributor
152 posts
Save Topic
Relaxation and privacy in Gardiner or W Yellowstone

Thanks in part to a lot of great support from TA members in this forum, we're closing in on this somewhat last minute trip.

Flying into SLC on the 17'th, we're looking to stay near Gardiner or perhaps West Yellowstone for the 18, 19 and 20'th, then Jackson Hole area for the 21 and 22 before flying out of SLC again on the 23'rd, shortly after noon.

We'll be exploring the park mornings and dusk for wildlife / phot ops, with more downtime during the harsher light of the day. That could still be spent exploring the park, or perhaps relaxing back at our lodgings. This brings me to the question: Are there any places recommended in Gardiner or W Yellowstone that might have a fairly private, relaxing view and still offer the services a B&B or motel would offer (basic cleaning and bed making for example). I've seen some awesome cabin rentals on VRBO, but of course we'd be on our own for clean up, and this is still a much needed vacation from the everyday drudgery.

If I thought that places like the Clubhouse Inn on WY or The Best Western in Gardiner were set in a relaxing location, with a balcony overlooking a stream for example, that would be perfect, but I'm thinking most chains are on a strip overlooking a parking lot? We just need a relaxing spot for our down time!

I'm not sure if individual recommendations are encouraged or even allowed in this forum, but if so, any suggestions are appreciated! (Perhaps a PM if the info I'm seeking sounds like I'm trolling for a sales rep to call - I dont want to turn this into an ad campaign lol)

Indiana
Level Contributor
35 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Relaxation and privacy in Gardiner or W Yellowstone

Have you searched hotels for these two towns on Tripadvisor? I've found that the travel photos our fellow tripadvisor members submit are pretty accurate and often give you a better understanding of what the hotel is about. Some hotels are so horrible at putting pics on their website, and if they do, it's often the best of the best (and the conveniently leave out the fact that all the rooms face the highway or something like that.)

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,765 posts
405 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Relaxation and privacy in Gardiner or W Yellowstone

West Yellowstone has the better choice of lodging and restaurants in my opinion but no views. You might look at Chico Hot Springs north of Gardiner. It gets good reviews on the forum. I do not know how long it would take you to get to the park though.

I am sure others will post and give you some great advice.

Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,308 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Relaxation and privacy in Gardiner or W Yellowstone

I like PeachBelle's recommendation about Chico, yet for travelling into YNP twice a day, it might be a bit far. However, they are very nice accomodations, and frequently fill up, yet they do have cancellations. There are cabins on the top of the hill overlooking the Lodge would probably provide a lof of what you are looking for.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,858 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Relaxation and privacy in Gardiner or W Yellowstone

Noticed your post... as we are planning our trip, too. Just wanted to suggest that when you look for lodging reviews in West Yellowstone and Gardiner, that you click on "specialty lodging", not just "hotels and b and bs".

For instance, here is the list of "specialty lodging" for Gardiner:

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g45184-c3-Gardiner_Mo…

Boston...
Level Contributor
152 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Relaxation and privacy in Gardiner or W Yellowstone

Thanks for the tips! After a lot of surfing and a few phone calls, we ended up choosing to stay in West Yellowstone at the Clubhouse Inn. There may not be a relaxing front porch view, but we sacrificed that for the renovated rooms and the location. We can make the run from Salt Lake that afternoon, giving us a more uninterrupted stay. We'll be exploring the NorthWest corner of the park from there, and the last morning we can skip out and down to the Tetons a bit quicker. I'll try not to second guess some of those beautiful VRBO cabin rentals lol.

6. Re: Relaxation and privacy in Gardiner or W Yellowstone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 16:18