We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ranger-led activities after September 5?

Caterham, United...
Level Contributor
110 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Ranger-led activities after September 5?

We will be in Yellowstone in early September, and looking at the NPS website, there is only a schedule for summer activities, most of which seem to stop on Labor Day.

We were there at a similar time in 2007 and there seemed to be plenty of ranger activities available after Labor Day - do these no longer happen or are they just not listed?

Thanks

pa
Level Contributor
147 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ranger-led activities after September 5?

Looking at the ranger newspaper from this summer, I see that Fishing Bridge, Grant, West Thumb, Madison, Albright (mammoth), Norris and Old Faithful visitor centers all list hours through September 30, but most of the ranger led activities have ending dates by/before labor day. Maybe you can find an email on the website. I couldn't find a phone number in the YNP newspaper.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
454 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ranger-led activities after September 5?

You can download last fall's Ranger activity list from the NPS website but they typically don't post the upcoming season program until the 3rd or 4th week of August .

www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/rangerfall.htm

We went up last year on the Labor Day weekend for a week in the park and I got the download the first day it was published - on August 23rd.

A number of programs do end on the Labor Day weekend and some are run much less frequently. They do change what is available from year to year, so use last year's program only as a rough guideline.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
454 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ranger-led activities after September 5?

You can download last fall's Ranger activity list from the NPS website but they typically don't post the upcoming season program until the 3rd or 4th week of August .

www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/rangerfall.htm

We went up last year on the Labor Day weekend for a week in the park and I got the download the first day it was published - on August 23rd.

A number of programs do end on the Labor Day weekend and some are run much less frequently. They do change what is available from year to year, so use last year's program only as a rough guideline.

Caterham, United...
Level Contributor
110 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ranger-led activities after September 5?

Fantastic, thank you. I'd hoped there was a Fall schedule, but couldn't find one.

We're trying to fit in both Glacier NP and Yellowstone into a five day period of a road trip, and didn't want to end up in Yellowstone when nothing was happening!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,043 posts
430 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ranger-led activities after September 5?

We did Glacier and Yellowstone last August/September but had been to Yellowstone recently in both 2007 and 2008. You do realize that it will take you a full day to get from Glacier to Yellowstone. Yellowstone is huge and there is much to see and do. Here is a website with the must sees-

www.yellowstone.net/topten

Where are you beginning your trip/what city are you flying in and out of?

If you spend two days driving the GTTSR, etc. in Glacier, then drive one full day, you will just have 2 days in Yellowstone. In my opinion you will only be scratching the surface as we say in the park.

Good luck with your planning!!!

Caterham, United...
Level Contributor
110 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ranger-led activities after September 5?

Thanks, I appreciate that we will only be scratching the surface - unfortunately flying to the US is expensive and we are unable to take more than two weeks off work at any time which means we have to fit as much as possible into a trip - there's a whole world out there to visit and just not enough time!

Yes, I understand the logistics of getting from Glacier to Yellowstone - we will already have covered many miles, travelling through other states before we reach Montana, and then we go onwards from Yellowstone before flying home.

As I mention, we have been to Yellowstone before, and have seen many things there, and will look to further investigate certain parts of the park, hence wanting to make sure Ranger activities are available, so that we can make the most of the days we have there.

Many thanks!

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
133 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ranger-led activities after September 5?

I, too, have been waiting for the Fall schedule to be posted. Well, it's up! Anyone have recommendations on particularly great ranger-led programs?

Caterham, United...
Level Contributor
110 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ranger-led activities after September 5?

Excellent, thanks for pointing this out, I shall go and have a look now!

Edited: 10 August 2011, 21:41
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
454 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ranger-led activities after September 5?

I'm delighted to see that they got the schedule posted earlier this year than usual. Some of my favorite walks are the ones that last 1.5 to 2 hours:

- Morning on Geyser Hill (Old Faithful). I've been doing this one on every trip since I was a kid and I never tire of it. Each ranger has a slightly different perspective and presentation.

- Windows into Yellowstone (Norris). Norris changes character over time and I never know what to expect. Last year I was disappointed in how tame the features were during our visit but other years things have been wild.

Mud Volcano Ramble (Mud Volcano). This area has such an amazing array of thermal features that become even more fascinating with a ranger walk and talk.

- Storm Point Saunter (Storm Point). A beautiful walk.

I always enjoy several of the evening programs while I'm in the park, sometimes shifting dinner plans to attend one that is of particular interest. Check the visitor center closest to where you will be for the current schedule; I've never found the program list posted online.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
930 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ranger-led activities after September 5?

Ok pros,

How about it, what ranger programs are your favorites? Traveling Bear already weighed in, thanks.

We will arrive at Canyon on 9/17 after driving from Billings. We'll spend 3 nights there, the 20th & 21st at OFI, and the 22nd at Lake. On to Jackson for a night, then onto SLC for two nights and a flight back.

I have the fall schedule downloaded and see a ton of programs still available that time of year. What, in your opinions, are the "don't miss" ones?

Thanks in advance,

Joe