We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Canyon to Yellowstone

Beverley, United...
Level Contributor
163 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Canyon to Yellowstone

My wife hits a milestone birthday in 2013.

We are planning on visiting New Zealand in December 2012 / January 2013 but I've just had a thought that she loves the Grand Canyon (she has visited a few times and we both went in 2009) and the Yellowstone National Park (I've never visited).

How feasible is it to visit both National Parks on one vacation?

Driving between the 2 is around 1300 miles I believe which would waste about a week of average travelling or possibly 3 / 4 days of pushing hard?

Flying is also an option but you have to hop over to Denver and onto Jackson Hole from there.

Is it worth driving all that way (I suspect not).

Thoughts?

(I've not mentioned this to her yet though!)

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,402 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Canyon to Yellowstone

We've done it- but will need about 2 weeks. We flew into Las Vegas and went to Grand Canyon, Sedona, back towards Las Vegas and then drove to south of SLC to spend the night. It was a long day driving from near Las Vegas to south of SLC. We then drove to West Yellowstone and toured YNP and GTNP.

Here is a website for the must sees in the park-

www.yellowstone.net/topten

We then flew out of Salt Lake City. We got good airfare and thru AAA-Hertz a good one way car rental rate. That is the problem with flying in and out of different airports but can be done.

We did this trip in early June 2007. We only had 10 days. We had our kids with us and they said it was their favorite vacation. We did a float trip on the Snake River in GTNP and saw beautiful scenery and wildlife.

Might want to post this on road trips forum. Enjoy your trip planning.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Canyon to Yellowstone

I assume you intend this US trip, at least for YNP, in summer, not winter (you mentioned December/January). If summer, you might consider focusing on new experiences and visit Grand Teton, Yellowstone and Glacier NPs, as time permits. If you flew into nearby cities, you could do all three in ten days, though I'd recommend more (because you'll use much of a day between YNP and GNP, because you'll probably want at least 3 full (not partial) days in YNP, 2 in Grand Teton NP, 2 in GNP.) If hikers, add days. The days will, of course, be long and that is in our favor.

Or, whether summer or winter, consider the spectacular and unique southern Utah parks (which will be quite hot in summer). If there you'll see the north rim of the Grand Canyon (much less crowded, more "intimate", closer to the canyon walls). We spent, I believe, 5 - 6 days on this circle tour, could have spent at least 3 more.

If this will be a winter trip, the southern Utah parks are a good choice, but the north rim of the GC will be closed due to snow and it's a long drive to the south rim.

I'm unsure what you mean by "Driving between the 2 is around 1300 miles I believe which would waste about a week of average travelling or possibly 3 / 4 days of pushing hard". The distance between the two? Traveling only 300 - 400 miles per day? Know that you might drive perhaps 500+ (wonderful) miles in YNP alone.

To save on driving, and perhaps lodging and driving costs, you might consider an open jaw flight arriving in, say, Las Vegas but departing another city nearer your last location.

PS Whatever you decide you should try for reservations soon and change them later as your plans change. This is especially true for Yellowstone and Glacier NPs.

Utah & SW

http://www.nps.gov/state/ut/

www.utah.com/nationalparks/grandcircle.htm

Edited: 19 August 2011, 14:54
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,681 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Canyon to Yellowstone

As I wrote on the Grand Canyon post, Yellowstone would be closed to vehicle travel in the winter if that is indeed when you are thinking of coming.

check out these options: yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/Getaway-Pa…

Beverley, United...
Level Contributor
163 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Canyon to Yellowstone

Many apologies, trying to edit my op and failing.

US trip would be June 2013, obviously its best to visit NZ in their summer.

Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,268 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Canyon to Yellowstone

Not sure if you are aware of this, but there are weekly direct fiights from Idaho Falls, near Yellowstone (2 hours away) to Mesa AZ (5 hours away to Grand Canyon). I know it sounds like a lot of driving, but I use Allegiant Air as a start off from this are all of the time. five hour drive in the desert to the Grand Canyon goes pretty quick. These flights go as cheap as $80 rt.

USA
Level Contributor
584 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Canyon to Yellowstone

We've driven Tucson to Bozeman in two long days. But there are some gorgeous parks in Utah (Arches. Zion et al) that it would be a shame to miss. I think you could get all of them in 2-3 weeks, depending on whether you have to do a round trip.

Beverley, United...
Level Contributor
163 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Canyon to Yellowstone

Thanks for your input, I suggested this to my wife over the weekend and it sounds like she's quite keen. Just need to decide if we fly into Las Vegas or possibly go for the Seattle or Denver options.

BlueBirdDay thanks for the heads up on the flights.

RobUSA we also visited Zion, Bryce and Monument Valley back in 2009, always possible that we would go again though.

We'd probably have 2 or 2 and a half weeks for the trip.

8. Re: Grand Canyon to Yellowstone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 16:18