We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

yellowstone in 2 - 3 days

New Bern, North...
Level Contributor
63 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
yellowstone in 2 - 3 days

We are spending one night at Lake Lodge then 2 nights in Silver Gate. No kids, just 2 adults (flatlanders, but in good shape). Can anyone suggest day hikes. We want to explore the region as much as possible but not spend too much time in the car.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
19,051 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: yellowstone in 2 - 3 days

You will be spending quite a bit of time in the car if you are staying in SilverGate!

Off hand, one of the hikes I enjoy on the NE entrance road is the hike from the Yellowstone River Picnic area. The trail head is a bit east of the Tower/Roosevelt Jct. You hike up out of the parking lot and the trail follows the rim of the Canyon. You can do an out and back, or you can hike til it meets the Specimen Ridge trail and then turn left and head back to the road. It is about a half mile along the road west to where you parked your car.

You will be coming in and out of the park along the Lamar Valley which is very rich in wildlife.

If you haven't been to the park before, I would suggest you do the Geyser areas around Old Faithful while you are staying at Lake.

Which entrance are you coming in on the day you wind up staying in Lake?

Pam

New Bern, North...
Level Contributor
63 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: yellowstone in 2 - 3 days

We are coming to YSNP from GTNP. I was hoping to take in some of the southern parts on that first day of travel, take in some of the middle on the way up to Silver Gate,)Lamar

Valley) , then cover the northern parts while at Silver Gate. We also plan on doing some out of park activities while in Silver Gate (Beartooth Pass). I hear the Sunlight Basin is beautiful. I have been to YSNP before, but only in winter. I have seen all the high spots, was hoping to do some of the not so obvious sites.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
116 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: yellowstone in 2 - 3 days

Along with the Yellowstone River Picnic area in the NE, another hike is Trout Lake. We also really liked the Clear Lake loop in the Canyon area and Fairy Falls (including Imperial Geyser) in Grand Prismatic Spring area. None are strenous but show different areas.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
276 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: yellowstone in 2 - 3 days

There is a hike near Mt Washburn that is very nice, AIts moderate/strenuous. Actually, this was one of my favorite areas of the park. We saw a grizzly with cubs here, so be careful and go in a group if possible. There are also some trails in the Lamar Valley that are nice.

We did a ranger led tour near in the Canyon area. We did the same trail where the tourist was attacked a couple of months ago. This is a nice hike..but of course use caution here too.

New Bern, North...
Level Contributor
63 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: yellowstone in 2 - 3 days

I had read about Mt Washburn. The info I have has you start at Dunraven Pass. Thanks for your input.

6. Re: yellowstone in 2 - 3 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 09:17