We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mountain lion sightings?

Kansas
Level Contributor
28 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Mountain lion sightings?

I read that Yellowstone has a very small resident mountain lion population. Just curious if anyone in this forum has ever been lucky enough to catch a glimpse of one and if so, where were you, time of day, etc?

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
23,792 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mountain lion sightings?

Mountain lion sightings are pretty infrequent in Yellowstone.

I actually live in N. Idaho and they are sometimes spotted in this general area...the Palouse...in the spring. It seems every year there are 1 or 2 spotted in nearby Pullman Wa, home of Washington State Univ Cougars, lol. This year one was also spotted in Lewiston Idaho in the city limits.

Dont recall that being in anyone's trip report here but have seen mention on other forums.

Pam

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
7,242 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mountain lion sightings?

In Jackson Hole:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxIs9QvvrxU

flickr.com/photos/daryl-hunter/2299676244/

In Cody:

www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,533420,00.html

Mentioned in this post
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
Kansas
Level Contributor
28 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mountain lion sightings?

Really interesting Pam, thanks.

TetonBill, just curious if you had the chance to see that Jackson Hole lion in Feb '08? Thanks for including the links.

Mentioned in this post
Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
3,023 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mountain lion sightings?

They come down into the valley here too in the Winter. Although they have been seen - and killed in town - I haven't ever seen one - not even when one killed a deer on my neighbor's deck (1/2 mile away)!

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,257 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mountain lion sightings?

My brother-in-law used to be in charge of the mountain lion research being done at Yellowstone back in the 90's (he is now with Bridger-Teton National Forest). He has taken both my husband and my son (who works for the Fisheries Dept at Yellowstone) out at night to find cats. He uses his hound dog and they tree them for viewing. Scares the heck out of me! Also scares me that my son is out on back country trips continuously this month and next and there have been these bear attacks. He always has bear spray on him, but still...

Mentioned in this post
Teton National Forest
Teton National Forest
436 Reviews
Cody, WY
Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
7,242 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mountain lion sightings?

ksconestoga,

Yes, I saw the lion. She was off and on that carcass for days. Quite the local celebrity. We also had a couple of orphaned lion cubs in Wilson last year. Wy Game & Fish finally caught them in someone's backyard and took them to a zoo. This summer, there have been lion sightings out the Gros Ventre Rd east of Kelly, and lion tracks have been found on the trails east of Snow King. On one of the pack trips this summer, up in the high country of the Washakie Wilderness, a fellow saw a lion on a far hillside. He kept pointing and I kept looking, but I didn't see it. But his eyes are a lot younger than mine.

Mentioned in this post
Kelly Inn West Yellowstone
Kelly Inn West...
1,018 Reviews
West Yellowstone, MT
7. Re: Mountain lion sightings?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 23:17