We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report, August 2011

Boston
Level Contributor
382 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report, August 2011

Thanks to everyone with your help planning this trip! We had a great two week visit to Yellowstone and Glacier national parks, and were very lucky with weather and animal sightings. On the trip, were myself, my boyfriend, and my mom.

Itinerary:

Day 1. Flew into Jackson Hole at midday. Smiths for groceries and Kmart for Bear spray (~$45), lunch in Jackson, then drove through the park to Signal Mountain Lodge. Slept SML.

Day 2. Drove the loop of the Tetons – Jackson Dam, Oxbow bend, Mormon Row, Jenny lake boat trip and hike to Hidden Falls/Inspiration point, Signal Mountain. After dinner, went to Willow Flats but sadly no moose. Slept SML.

Day 3. Drove to Yellowstone. West Thumb Geyser basin, Old Faithful geyser and then walked around geyser hill at Old Faithful. Slept OFI.

Day 4. Firehole Canyon drive, Fountain Paint Pots, hiked along Fairy Falls trail to Grand Prismatic overlook (while mom did boardwalk). Back to Firehole Canyon drive to see Great Fountain go off. Then back to OFI and walked to Grand Geyser to see it erupt. I then walked the rest of the Upper Geyser basin boardwalk to Morning Glory pool while the others went back to OFI. Slept OFI.

Day 5. Black Sand basin. Drove to Mammoth. Did upper terraces drive, and then viewed some of lower terraces from boardwalk (but didn’t do whole boardwalk). Drove to Tower and then Canyon and did Blacktail Plateau Drive along the way. Drove into Hayden valley after dinner and saw two bears and a wolf. Slept Canyon Western cabin.

Day 6. Drove through Hayden valley to Lake, stopping for an hour or so to view a grizzly mom and two cubs and a wolf. Lake Yellowstone hotel. Drove half way to Grant and found a secluded picnic spot along the lake for lunch. Drove back to Canyon and did Mud Volcano. Canyon South Rim drive and Uncle Tom’s Trail. Canyon North Rim drive. Drove into Hayden valley after dinner. Slept Canyon Western cabin.

Day 7. Drove through Lamar valley to the north east entrance and saw lots of pronghorn. Drove back to Canyon. Did some laundry. Walked from our cabin to north rim of canyon, and walked along rim and down to brink of lower falls. Slept Canyon Western cabin.

Day 8. Drove to Cody via East entrance. Buffalo Bill dam, Cody museum (Western, Plains Indians, and Natural History). Rodeo in evening. Slept Best Western Cody.

Day 9. Old Trail Town Cody. Drove Chief Joseph highway and Beartooth to Red Lodge. Slept Yodeler Motel in Red Lodge.

Day 10. 8 hour drive to Glacier National Park.

Day 11-14. Glacier National Park.

Day 15. Flew home from Kalispell.

Car rental: $550 with Alamo and Costco discount. One way rental, two drivers, unlimited miles, “compact” car (Dodge Charger).

Lodging: See my reviews for more details. In general we could not have done much of what we did in Yellowstone without staying in the park. I would definitely advise that you talk to someone when you book and request anything that is important to you as many of the room/cabins are not the same – eg. not all SML cabins are on the lake; OFI old house rooms will be noisier if you are on the first floor or balcony etc.

Signal Mountain Lodge – two room cabin on the lake, very peaceful, rustic, clean.

Old Faithful Inn old house room – wonderfully and perfectly maintained/restored, very very clean (including communal bathrooms). Great value and favorite place that we stayed. Loved sitting on the deck each evening with a drink and watching OF erupt. Main negative is that the lobby was always busy, even at 9pm in the evening.

Canyon Western cabin – clean, spacious, comfortable and very conveniently located for wildlife watching and first time visitors who want to visit all areas of the park. Bit too expensive though. Didn’t really like the Canyon “village” area (where the restaurant/general store is).

Food:

Breakfast and lunches from cooler. Also took a kettle for making tea and couscous.

OFI dining room – food was fine but not fantastic. Not much vegetarian choice.

OFI cafeteria – better than we expected and reasonably priced.

Canyon cafeteria – terrible except for the vegetarian chilli. Even the same garlic bread that we had at OFI cafeteria was 10x worse at Canyon.

Canyon dining room – not too many vegetarian options, but we had a pleasant dining experience.

Canyon general store soda fountain – typical veggie burgers, no surprises, cheap.

Animal sightings:

Bison – 11am around Mormon row (herd), and many many times in Yellowstone

Deer – 9am-ish, roadside near Signal Mountain Lodge (one). Mid afternoon, roadside, near Old Faithful area (two). Mid morning between Norris and Mammoth (one).

Elk – 9am-ish, roadside near Old Faithful area (two)

Coyote – 9am-ish roadside between OF and Madison (pack). Mid afternoon on Blacktail Plateau drive (one), and mid morning in Hayden valley (one).

Marmot – afternoon near brink of upper falls (one).

Grizzly bears – sunset from Grizzly overlook in Hayden valley (two). 9.30am from same place (mom and two cubs)

Wolves – sunset (one) and 9.30am (one) from Grizzly overlook as above.

Highlights:

-Watching Grand and Great Fountain geysers erupt. Great Fountain was late and we were essentially chasing it all morning – we kept coming back to see if it was ready! Grand was pure luck – we arrive around the predicted time, thinking we may have already missed it, but in fact it went off 15 minutes later!

-Grand Prismatic – very pretty and photogenic from above.

-All the animal sightings, but especially watching the grizzly family. They were a ways away, but we watched them play and forage on the hillside, walk down, swim across the river and feed on a bison carcass.

-The wildflowers were wonderful, especially around the lake area, Hayden valley, and around Beartooth pass.

-The scenery in many places, but especially the lake area, Hayden valley, Canyon, the mountains in the north east entrance area, the “hoodoos” near Mammoth, the Tetons from Mormon row and Oxbow bend, the east entrance road and the Beartooth pass.

-The brink of the lower falls – an awesome experience!

Less enjoyable experiences

-Seeing a kid throw a stone at a bird on the Inspiration Point hike. And then seeing some other kids feeding goldfish crackers to chipmunks. It was a very busy hike, but still worth it because Hidden Falls is so pretty.

-Mud Volcano. We did the whole boardwalk in the hot sun, and at this point I was geysered out – in retrospect we didn’t need to do the whole thing.

-Artist’s point. Lots of tourists and elbows. Just very busy.

-Lots of driving. Ok, this is kind of a plus/minus type thing. It was necessary to drive to get to all the highlights. And we wanted to stop a lot along the way to look at points of interest eg waterfalls, scenic views etc, which added a lot of time on to the driving. I hadn’t expected so much stopping along the way, so it got a little tiring! I was so glad we stayed in the park, because we were busy enough as it was, and we didn’t even get to do Norris geyser basin in the end.

All in all a great trip. I would love to go back again some time, perhaps in a different season. I think it would be more relaxed as I wouldn’t feel the need to go to all the highlights, or stop so much along the road. I would like to explore the north east area of the park a bit more, I bet there is some great hiking around there. I’d quite like to stay in the lake area for a couple of days too. Doing some animal watching, and seeing one or two of the big geysers erupt would also be on my list.

Mount Washburn
Mountains, National Parks
Gibbon Falls
Waterfalls, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Geologic Formations, National Parks
Boston
Level Contributor
382 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report, August 2011

The trip report continues with Glacier here: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g143026-i1168-k479…

I will try to get some photos posted when I have finished going through them. I had hoped to post the whole thing at once, but going through the photos is taking some time!

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
5,828 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report, August 2011

Great detailed report.....thanks so very much for taking the time to write it up and share. It sounds like you had a good time and got to see a lot of different things. i will be looking forward to the pics.

Deb

Englewood, Fl.
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report, August 2011

Nice TR Lou. Glad you had a great time, and thanks for sharing your experiences!

>> I would love ot go back again sometime, perhaps in a different season<

The geothermal areas, lodgings and dinning do not really change all that much from season to season. However, if you have a strong interest in Yellowstone's wildlife. I would suggest anytime between mid May and mid June, if you can get away at that time, You do have to be prepared for just about any weather conditions then, so wnen flying, packing can be a challenge. You won't see any wildflowers, and some hiking trails could be closed due to snowpack, mud, high water, and/or bear activities, but the park is much less crowded at that time, and you will see a lot more wildlife activity.

Wildlife sightings will also include the newborns of the season, beginning with bison calves, bears and cubs just out of hibernation. If you re real lucky, wolf pups frolicking around a den. Then as the season progresses, bighorn sheep, and elk calves, then antelope, deer, and moose.

Thanks again for your trip report. It's always nice to see the park from other people's viewpoints.

H

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report, August 2011

Well done, thank you. Your informative report and views will be helpful to, and educational for, first time visitors.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,275 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report, August 2011

Terrific report! Thanks so much for the detail.

You saw my 2 favorite geysers go, Grand and Great Fountain. They are just amazing arent they? They demonstrate such power while they pump gallons and gallons of water out. I love Old Faithful just because...but these 2 are definitely my favorites. I am so glad you caught them both. I've waited as much as 3 hours for both of them, but it seems like it was meant for you to see them!

Awesome wildlife sitings as well. And so glad you saw wildflowers on Beartooth. I hadnt been there in ages until the first week of August and they were just beautiful.

I see you have caught the Yellowstone bug, the main symptom being the statement *Next time we'll do such and such*!!

editing to ask- How did your Mum do with the altitude? I actually was thinking about her when we were there in August because my brother and I were both having problems this time!!

Pam

Edited: 06 September 2011, 15:59
Boston
Level Contributor
382 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report, August 2011

Thanks everyone, it's a pleasure to write the report and share our experiences with other enthusiastic visitors!

D0bby - the geysers were amazing. We picked Great Fountain at first because it didn't require any walking. We popped by at the beginning of the 4 hour window, but there was no activity, and it said that 75 minutes (?) before it erupts the pool would start to overflow. So we figured we had at least 75 minutes to kill, so did Fountain Paint Pots. We then came back to check on Great Fountain again, and still, nothing happening. So we went to see Grand Prismatic, and then came back.

At this point GF, was about 3 hours into it's 4 hour window, so we figured we'd just wait. The pool was overflowing and a crowd started to build up. But it kept us waiting! I think it was about 45 minutes PAST it's 4 hour window that it actually erupted! It was definitely worth the wait though, and we certainly deserved it after running around all morning!

Grand was just pure luck. After seeing GF go off, we went back to Old Faithful, realized that Grand was about 2 hours into it's 4 hour window, and decided we had the energy to walk up there. We weren't really expecting to see it go off as we weren't sure we would have the patience to wait, but we only waited about 15 minutes! It sure was a surprise when it went off. And an even bigger surprise when the second eruption went off, it was so sudden and so huge, it really made me jump!

The wildflowers really were beautiful. They were awesome in Glacier as well. We were in Glacier the last few days of August. I think it was lucky for us that spring was a bit late this year.

My mum did ok with the altitude. She felt it when she landed in Denver. I think she then somewhat acclimatised to it - she wasn't sick or anything, but it did make the walking a bit harder.

Boston
Level Contributor
382 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report, August 2011

Actually, as well as doing all the boardwalks in Yellowstone, my mum did do a couple of short hikes in Glacier too: the boat trip + hike to Grinnell Lake from Many Glacier hotel, and St Mary's Falls on Going to the Sun Road. Both hikes are about 2 miles round trip.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,275 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report, August 2011

I am so glad she did well! And you are right, a late spring really contributed to the late wildflower display.

That second eruption at Grand is always spectacular. It looks like it is thinking...NOW I'm gonna give you your money's worth!

Pam

Texas
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report, August 2011

Thanks so much for your trip report. We are leaving Monday for Yellowstone, and I am taking notes! One question - we have reservations for OFI for two nights - the old rooms. You mentioned that the lower floors were noisier. What floor or rooms would you recommend? I know I have seen recommendations for rooms near the "big bathtubs". I don't know if you can choose, but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask for specific rooms or floors. I thought I might call this week to confirm our reservations. We also have a reservation for one night at the Lake Yellowstone cabins. Any suggestions on either would be appreciated. We will also be spending a couple of nights in Cooke City and entering the park from the northeast entrance one day. This is our first trip to Yellowstone, and we are really looking forward to it. I've been reading the forums for months as well as several books - Yellowstone Treasures for one.

Hendersonville, NC
Level Contributor
702 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report, August 2011

Great trip report! Will be a big help, and also got me very excited as I leave one year from today!

Cheers