We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving time from Teton Village to Yellowstone

Hendersonville, NC
Level Contributor
702 posts
Save Topic
Driving time from Teton Village to Yellowstone

Can someone give me an approximate time to allow for driving from Teton Village to Yellowstone South entrance on a Monday morning in September, leaving at the crack of dawn? Then, from the Yellowstone South entrance, approximate time to Old Faithful, without stops? (I know it's not far). What about from South entrance to Lake and also Canyon, without stops?

Trying to figure out which place to start my first of three days at Yellowstone coming up from Teton. For Old Faithful/Upper Geyser and for Grand Canyon/Lower Falls, would like to arrive early before the crowds. Thinking OF/Upper Geyser that first day coming up from Teton, then - since I'm staying at Lake Cabins that first night - leave cabin real early the second day and have time to check out wildlife in Hayden Valley and still get to Canyon fairly early in the morning.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving time from Teton Village to Yellowstone

A quick response, select "View Map" on the park's home page, and see an interactive map showing distances in the park. For time requirements, multiply by, roughly, 2 or 3 to calculate time required in minutes.

Same holds for GTNP, "View Map". But, you'll travel faster through this park than YNP.

Don't worry about the "crowds", you'll see it all. But I agree, maximize your daylight hours for viewing of scenery and wildlife.

You really don't need to rush from Lake to Canyon via Hayden Valley. They are very close, and you'll want to stop at viewpoints in the Valley, Mud Volcano, LeHardy Rapids, etc.

Edited: 10 September 2011, 02:08
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,309 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving time from Teton Village to Yellowstone

You are staying at Lake the first night, what about the 2nd and 3rd nights? If all at Lake, I would do Lake/Canyon the first day, then on Day 2 do Old Faithful area and work your way north thru the other geyser basins winding up back at Canyon and down to Lake. That way you would probably hit Hayden late in the afternoon for wildlife spotting. Day 3 you can do the Upper loop.

In Sept, you will not have big crowd to deal with, so don't stress over that. The biggest concentrations will be at Old Faithful....just right at that geyser, not throughout the basin and at some of the Canyon overlooks. I can't remember without looking back but this is planned for 2012, is that right? If so, at that time you can check to see if there are ranger programs still going when you get there. Usually there is a ranger-led tour of OF area about 9 or 930, so you might want to catch that. Usually pretty interesting.

Pam

Hendersonville, NC
Level Contributor
702 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving time from Teton Village to Yellowstone

Thanks Voyaging and Pam ... was waiting for your expertise to chime in. By the way, I just received my "Yellowstone Treasures" book in the mail earlier this week - great stuff.

Good advice from you both, but I'm still curious about the drive from Teton Village to Yellowstone South entrance. I think I read a while back about 90 minutes ... is this about right?

And yes, Pam, 2012 is correct. I arrive in Yellowstone a year from this Monday!

4. Re: Driving time from Teton Village to Yellowstone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 21:17
Get answers to your questions about Yellowstone National...