We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If the Beartooth is closed......

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
934 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
If the Beartooth is closed......

Going from Billings to canyon with a stop in Cooke City for dinner.

If the Beartooth is closed due to weather, would taking 310 to the Chief Joseph Hwy. be our alternative?

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,605 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If the Beartooth is closed......

If you need to get to Cooke City and the Beartooth is closed, take 310/72/120 and then the Chief Joseph from Cody. But don't linger too long over dinner; you want to get to Canyon well before dusk.

Edited: 13 September 2011, 15:26
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
934 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If the Beartooth is closed......

Thanks.

What time is dusk these days, we will be doing this drive Saturday 9/17?

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
934 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If the Beartooth is closed......

Silly question:

I don't actually go into Cody, do I? I pick up 296 well before I continue south into Cody?

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
934 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If the Beartooth is closed......

Google Maps shows this will add about an hour to the trip, is this right?

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
20,660 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: If the Beartooth is closed......

www.sunrisesunset.com

My favorite site for figuring out when I have to head back to the hotel! Print and take with you.

Pam

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
934 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: If the Beartooth is closed......

Good site

thanks

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,605 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: If the Beartooth is closed......

Note that these are sunset times, not dusk. But I'd still shoot to be at Canyon soon after sunset.

>I don't actually go into Cody, do I? I pick up 296 well before I continue south into Cody?

Correct.

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
5,413 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: If the Beartooth is closed......

The Chief Joseph Scenic Highway (WY 296) turnoff on WY 120 is well-signed. It is about 16 miles north of Cody.

It is forecasted for cooler temps here in Billings and some rain starting Wednesday but the weekend is supposed to be back in the high 70s. While you can never predit mother nature I'd be really surprised if it snowed enough to temporarily close the pass.

Sometimes the pass will close and be closed overnight until they can get up and plow the areas that need it so even if it is closed in the morning it can be opened later in the morning or early afternoon. When you drive to Red Lodge you have to drive south of town past the turnoff (MT 308 which is 14 miles) that will take you to Belfry( and MT 72) a little ways before you will see the highway alert sign that will say if the pass is open or closed. If it is flashing "closed" you will have to backtrack the few miles to cut across highway (which by the way goes through some scenic countryside and around the backside of the Beartooths).

Deb

9. Re: If the Beartooth is closed......

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 21:16