We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nov 12th visit, will it snow?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
232 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Nov 12th visit, will it snow?

Will it? And will it affect my trip? Will be passing thru for 1 or 2 nights. Should i stay west or north yellowstone? I will be driving northeast after to regina, sk. Are the roads good? Multilane or divided highways? Where is old faithful in the park and what is the ideal base location for a non-outdoors person just looking to take in the main sites. And what are the main sites besides old faithful?

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
5,638 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Nov 12th visit, will it snow?

The only road that will be opened on November 12th is the road from Mammoth to Cooke City in the northern part of Yellowstone Park. All other roads completely shut down on November 7th. They do not open until mid-December and that is for snowmobile/snowcoach travel only.

You will not be able to get to Old Faithful or any other tourist area on November 12 other than the ones between Mammoth and Cooke City.

Snow.......it can snow in any month of the year in Yellowstone Park. There has already been enough snow where roads have been temporarily closed. As far as predicting if there if will snow on November 12th there is absolutely no way that you can predict that. That is like me asking if it will rain in Portland on November 12th.

Deb

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,373 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nov 12th visit, will it snow?

The odds of snow on the ground are high. You cannot drive THROUGH the park in the winter, as only the north entrance (Gardiner) is connected to the rest of the world by wheeled vehicle. The road from Gardiner to Cooke City is open, but it is closed beyond Cooke City to the east. Old Faithful, in the SW part of the park, is not accessible by wheeled vehicle.

So, grab yourself a map of Yellowstone so that you can get the perspective on the place names I have mentiooned above, and you will say to yourself, "Hmm, I guess I'll have to find a different place to visit that day."

However, do be sure to plan a trip when you have the time to enjoy the park. There is none other like it.

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,373 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nov 12th visit, will it snow?

Wow, exactly 12:05 both replies.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
232 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nov 12th visit, will it snow?

Ok, so if i cant get to old faithful, it seems like i'll postpone this trip til next year. Thanks for the tips. And yes, it will rain in portland on nov 12.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
232 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nov 12th visit, will it snow?

If i went next weekend, are the conditions nice enough to enjoy the park? For sighseeing and watching ol faithful?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
232 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nov 12th visit, will it snow?

Ok, so seriously thinking about moving this trip up a week (trying to combine leisure with business travel).

If I go the weekend of Nov 5th, I really want to ensure I get to see Old Faithful. Will I be able to? I see many park roads close on Nov 7th. I will leave to SK on Nov 6th so I should be ok, yes?

I will only have 1 day (Saturday) to tour around. The only thing on my itinerary is Old Faithful. What else should I see, considering this time of year?

Is West Yellowstone a good base for Nov 5th?

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,533 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nov 12th visit, will it snow?

ALL park roads close Nov 7 except the road from Mammoth to Cooke City. If there is snow or ice the roads could close earlier than that so as Deb stated above, it is impossible to forecast if roads will be open due to weather conditions.

Right now Weather.com is showing a forecast for snow tonight, rain/snow mix on Monday, plus snow showers (whatever that means!) on Tuesday, Friday and Saturday. Lows are forecast to be in the teens to low 20's.

I guess other questions would be: How prepared are you to drive in snowy conditions? Are you from Portland or SK? Do you have experience in judging winter conditions? Is your car winter-ready?

On just a random note, this time of year I think Yellowstone is for people who have experience with winter conditions and are able to adjust to keep themselves safe.

Pam

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,533 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nov 12th visit, will it snow?

To answer your other questions, yes West Yellowstone is a good base for the park if the roads are open. Are you coming from Portland or elsewhere?

If the roads are open you can spend the whole day doing Old Faithful and the Upper, Midway and Lower geyser basins. You can also visit the Canyon area as well as Mammoth.

You can spend one night in West Yellowstone tour the park and leave by the North entrance and spend that night in Gardiner before you head to SK.

You should have back up plans in case the roads are closed.

Pam

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
232 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nov 12th visit, will it snow?

Hmmm, i might have to make this call at the last minute. I will be in calgary next week for work and the next in regina but wanted to drive to yellowstone for the weekend. I have plenty of winter driving experience. If it snows, i will slow down to 70mph.

10. Re: Nov 12th visit, will it snow?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 20:18