We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

June 4th ,2012 trip.Weather?Crowds?

Franklin,Tennessee
Level Contributor
113 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
June 4th ,2012 trip.Weather?Crowds?

Hi,I have already booked flight etc for my husbands Christmas gift and am freaking out.Big chance of being snowed out?I did early June thinking we would miss the crowds we encountered at the first part of September the last time we went.We fly into Jackson and then go up to West Yellowstone for 7 nights then back to Jjackson for 3 nights.Bad plan?I can move the flights for $100.00.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: June 4th ,2012 trip.Weather?Crowds?

We were there on June 16th last year and stayed 5 days. It snowed the first evening at Canyon, but not enough to stick or anything. The rest of the park was warmer.

It wasn't super crowded then either. I was most annoyed by the crowds at Mammoth terraces. Pretty much everywhere else had enough room for everyone who was there.

I think if I go back this year, I'd go a week earlier than I did just to lessen the crowds a bit.

Franklin,Tennessee
Level Contributor
113 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: June 4th ,2012 trip.Weather?Crowds?

Thank you for your response.This is a surprise and I wanted it to be a good one.It sounds like I picked pretty well.This will be my 8th visit,always Sept..Husbands 2nd..He totally fell in love with the area.Again,thank you.

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
321 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: June 4th ,2012 trip.Weather?Crowds?

This is good to know, I have obtained a house for a week in Jackson Hole and was trying to determine when to use it. I want to see Yellowstone and mt. Rushmore as well.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
163 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: June 4th ,2012 trip.Weather?Crowds?

I think your plan is perfect. I wish somebody would surprise me with a trip to Yellowstone. We arrived to Yellowstone last year on June 10 and stay for 10 days. Weather was down right cold , to my husband and I it was freezing but the skies were beautiful. We were in Canyon the night it snowed but I never saw fresh snow, only 10 foot snow banks. Crowds were never an issue. I already have reservation for Yellowstone again next year.in June. Who knows maybe we will get a freaky heatwave. Quit freaking out and start thinking about what a great time you are going to have.

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,352 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: June 4th ,2012 trip.Weather?Crowds?

June 4, 2011 was still pretty wintery, but then if you understand layering up it is a perfectly enjoyable time to be in the park. I understand the forecast is for another severe winter like last year -- something about the La Nina or some such phenomenon that is considered pretty reliable. So, have some warm layers with you and enjoy your trip!

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,568 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: June 4th ,2012 trip.Weather?Crowds?

I went one time in early June and the early mornings were cold but if you layer (as mentioned) you will be fine. The one thing I went for was to watch the wildlife. In the early a.m. I needed warm footwear since I was standing outside with my scope watching the wolves and grizzlies. Once the day warmed up I switched the footwear out and did fine. You might want to tuck in a pair of gloves along with the hat this go round.

Franklin,Tennessee
Level Contributor
113 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: June 4th ,2012 trip.Weather?Crowds?

Thanks to all responders.The information was so appreciated.

Franklin,Tennessee
Level Contributor
113 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: June 4th ,2012 trip.Weather?Crowds?

I am really hoping my gift is accepted.Early June sounds like it will be cold but BABIES.YAY I hate the cold but for some things one must pay a price,I have never seen,in 8 visits,snow.It will be lovely.And the Tetons.I get misty eyed over the Tetons.Yellowstone is so much different now.6 of my visits were before the BIG fire.The vistas are much more viewable.Glad I was able to see it before and after.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,024 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: June 4th ,2012 trip.Weather?Crowds?

It's not guaranteed to be cold or snowy, we usually just like people to be aware that this time of year holds those possibilities. I was there the 1st week of June 2009 and was hiking in short sleeves, no snow anywhere (but I did not go over Beartooth!). That being said, I always pack clothing for cold weather just in case.

Pam

Franklin,Tennessee
Level Contributor
113 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: June 4th ,2012 trip.Weather?Crowds?

Thanks Pam.I'm hoping we can do June.Having bought new boots and a new Woolrich duster on Ebay,it should be one of the warmest early Junes on record.LOL Thanks again.