We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

grand tetons

washington
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
grand tetons

we will be in the Grand Tetons for 2 full days. I know we will do the one hike to Inspiration Point by Jenny Lake. What other hikes or activities would you recommend for an active family of 4?

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,518 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: grand tetons

Is this a summer visit? How long a hike do you want? What are kids ages?

washington
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: grand tetons

we are coming in June. Boys are 11 and 13. happy to hike for up to 1/2 day if it is worth it.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,518 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: grand tetons

June can be an iffy month for hiking, depending on when in June and how soon the snow melts. Last year, when we had a lot of snowfall, anything above 7,000 was snowbound until well into July. But this year, who knows.

That said, here are some links that may help you:

Trail maps: www.nps.gov/grte/planyourvisit/hike.htm

nps.gov/grte/…Lakeshore10.pdf

trail conditions: http://www.tetonclimbingcany.blogspot.com/

www.grand.teton.national-park.com/hike.htm

photos of trails: http://www.jacksonholewy.net/trails/

Here are some suggested hiking trails:

Taggart and Bradley Lakes. Moderate hike to one or both of these beautiful mountain lakes. 3.2 to 4.8 miles round trip.

Death Canyon. Easy 1.6 mile hike to an overlook 700' above Phelps Lake; then continue on switchbacks that drop down 500' of elevation and lead to Death Canyon or Open Canyon (both moderate; I recommend bear spray), or around Phelps Lake (easy).

Cascade Canyon. Reach the trailhead by taking the ferry from South Jenny Lake http://www.jennylakeboating.com/, which will save you hiking 2 miles around the lake. Easy .5 mile to Hidden Falls; followed by moderate .5 mile hike to Inspiration Point; then moderate hike into Cascade Canyon to the fork (4.5 miles). When you reach the fork, consider taking the trail (moderate) to the right (north) 2.7 miles up to Lake Solitude. Then hike back before the last ferry. This is the most popular trail in the park, but crowds thin out after the first couple of miles from the dock.

Paintbrush Canyon. This trail is best reached from the String Lake parking area. You can hike to Holly Lake (around 6 miles) for a nice hike, or go on to the Paintbrush Divide. Bear spray recommended.

Two Ocean Lake. Bear spray recommended. This trail starts at the north end of Two Ocean Lake Road and goes around Two Ocean Lake. This is an easy, pretty hike. I suggest that you go counter-clockwise. At the right time of year, the hillsides on the north side of the lake are thick with acres of wildflowers. Also, there's often a spring wildlife closure on the trail on the south side of the lake due to nesting bald eagles. So check with a park ranger before setting out. As an alternative to going all the way around Two Ocean Lake, you can take the (difficult) trail at the far west end of the lake 1 mile up to Grand View Point (7,300') for spectacular views of the Jackson Lake and the Teton Range, then continue south on this trail until it intersects with the Lake Emma Matilda Trail, which will take you east and back to your car, passing on the north side of Lake Emma Matilda (moderate).

Amphitheater Lake. Drive the park road to Lupine Meadows until it dead-ends at the trailhead. You begin by hiking 1.7 miles south on the Valley Trail (easy). Then take the connecting trail west as it climbs toward Surprise and Amphitheater Lakes, a total of 5.5 miles (strenuous) and a gain of 3,100'. On the way up to the lakes, the trail connects with the Garnet Canyon Trail (moderate to strenuous), which climbs to the base camp used by people climbing the Grand Teton. I recommend bear spray for these trails. I've never hiked these trails without seeing at least one bear. That trail goes to a high elevation, and there are a lot of white bark pines in those canyons, which attracts bears, especially in the fall and spring. Hiking a couple of years ago, as we neared the lakes, we were met by several campers coming down trail in a hurry, saying they had been run out of their camp by aggressive black bears.

Phelps Lake. The two trails to Phelps Lake (easy) start at the Rockefeller Preserve. Try to arrive early in the day because the parking lot is small, fills early, and there's no other place to park anywhere near those trailheads. When you get to the lake, go left (clockwise). You'll soon reach Huckleberry Point, which juts out into the lake for great views and a fine picnic spot. You can continue as far around the lake as you wish (bear spray recommended) and then turn back - or go all the way around. Up the west side of the lake, you'll come to the junction of the Open Canyon Trail, which is challenging but quite scenic.

Drink plenty of water, reduce alcohol consumption and take an easy pace until you're accustomed to the altitude. Nausea or dizziness can be a sign of altitude sickness.

Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,354 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: grand tetons

I also enjoy Hermitage Point for some flat hiking w/nice views at the end. Bear Spray recommended.

Australia
Level Contributor
229 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: grand tetons

I'd do a float trip down snake river in the evening if you have time. We went in June last year and my kids loved it and got to"row the boat" which they loved. We also saw a beaver and eagles and got some great information about the area.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,536 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: grand tetons

My kids loved the float trip also. Got to see wildlife and great scenery on the Snake River. We used Barker Ewing- great guides and lots of info about the area.

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,318 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: grand tetons

I really like TetonBill's hike descriptions. We took my wife's grandkids (teenagers, starting with the mindset, "We aren't going to have to SWEAT, are we?") on a hike up Cascade Canyon as far as time allowed, in this case maybe half way up the north fork of the Canyon toward Lake Solitude. By the time we got back we thought we had killed them. When they got home and got off the plane, their mom asked them what was their favorite part of the trip. You guessed it, it was this hike!

On the other hand, if your teenagers and really annoying you and you want to take some of the starch out of them, the trail to Surprise and Ampitheater Lakes has 19 switchbacks if I recall correctly. That said, the area around the lakes is pretty awesome.

I also very much like the trails around Emma Matilda Lake and Two Ocean Lake. Often not nearly as crowded as the "usual" parts of the park. Take bear spray. Your boys might really like seeing all the bear scratchings on the trees on parts of those trails.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,137 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: grand tetons

Bill074...very funny story about your grandkids!

Pam

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,318 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: grand tetons

True, every word of it. I had told them that from the road they would feel like the mountains were not too far away, from Inspiration Point they would feel like they were really AT the mountains, but from Cascade Canyon Trail they would have the feeling they were really IN the mountains. They said that was exactly how they felt.

I'm a believer in park visitors getting that "IN the mountains" feeling, and the Cascade Canyon Trail is one of the easiest hikes I know of where that really happens. The hike to Emerald Lake in Rocky Mountain National Park is another.

10. Re: grand tetons

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2013, 10:20