We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need expert advise

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
37 posts
161 reviews
Save Topic
Need expert advise

Mid May trip, staying at Cook City for home base, What routes would make for the best wildlife viewing, and to go down and back to Tetons and Jackson. We have a 4 wheel drive if needed.

We hoping to take in a wildhorse tour toward the end of our trip out of Cody, so it looks like we'll have 7 days to do Yellowstone area

Hudson Valley
Level Contributor
1,788 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need expert advise

One of the best is Lamar Valley, about a 30 minute drive from Cooke City in Yellowstone. We've seen a ton of wildlife there (black bear, grizzly, bison, wolves, coyotes, pronghorn).

One year we also had good luck on Lulu Pass Road right outside of Cooke City (saw moose several mornings in a row). But some years, nothing really.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need expert advise

Are you committed to Cooke City? It's pretty far from many/most of the major sights in YNP, other than the Lamar Valley.

To see wildlife, just drive the figure 8 road system, including the Hayden Valley, but that is a long way from Cooke City, and you don't want to drive YNP in the dark.

Some hints are in this article:

Wildlife viewing and photography, an article prepared by several TAs:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60999-c96653/Yellows…

Englewood, Fl.
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need expert advise

I am a regular springtime visitor to the park. I am normally out there sometime between mid May and mid June, and I stay in Cooke City myself. However I am there for a special purpose, to photograph and study the wolves, and my time is spent mostly in Lamar Valley.

The Cooke City area is quite remote, and due to it's location beyond the northeastern edge of YNP, it is not really a good place to base yourself for visiting the entire park.

Yellowstone covers over two million acres, and contains something like 350 miles of roadway. By basing in Cooke City you will be adding a LOT of extra driving every day in order to visit the rest of the park. That does not include the drive down through the park to GTNP and out to Jackson.

Until all of the park roads are open, and that can be as late as mid June, think of the road from Mammoth, to Cooke City as a fifty mile long dead end!

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
37 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need expert advise

Tyvm, this helps me change my plans. These responses are why I always check on Trip Advisor, before finally committing to anything

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
37 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need expert advise

No, not yet committed, so fully open to ideas as where to stay. Was wondering maybe coming up from Dubois, and driving the roads, would that make more sense. We are totally open to great ideas. Of course main objective is wildlife viewing. We're used to travelling snowpacked roads in the Rockies so snow doesn't faze us. Just want ideas on the best way to get around and see the as much as possible

Appreciate so much all advise

Will check out site

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
37 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need expert advise

Thank you, so good to do about distance. Wolves were my main objective for Lamar Valley, I have a wildlife viewing bucket list and wolves are right up there on top, so my hopes of seeing them is of course clouding my reason. So any hints on that you have is greatly appreciated.

We've checked off humpbacks, orcas, grey whales, sea otters, moose, elk runts, black bears, I need wolves.

If you have any more ideas to pass on, would love it

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need expert advise

We, and quite a few others, have seen wolves (and many other legged and winged critters) in Hayden Valley a more central location in the park.

Here's Xanterra website for lodging inside the park, plus what we've suggested re: lodging for both inside and outside the park.

Official and Only Authorized Lodging Vendor for Yellowstone National Park Don't use other agencies, they charge a service fee and they have to contact Xanterra themselves which you can do for free. Call at least once a day and monitor the website continuously, cancellations occur. Lodging locations, costs, reservations, camping, things to do and much more are here.

http://www.travelyellowstone.com/

Lodging location options for YNP --- If you have 3 or more days, split lodging locations, the park is vast. Options include, for example, lodge in: West Yellowstone, MT and Canyon or Lake; Old Faithful and Canyon or Lake; OF and Roosevelt or Gardiner or Mammoth.

These splits will minimize your driving. Also, it could be safer because after dark driving makes it difficult to see wildlife. See the park map ("View Map" on the park website home page), to get an idea of what this split would mean.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
37 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need expert advise

Thank you so much

Hudson Valley
Level Contributor
1,788 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need expert advise

I agree if you want to tour Yellowstone extensively, you will want to base some place else. We stay in Cooke City because we spend a lot of our time hiking and fishing in the Beartooth Mountains, as well as day trips to Red Lodge/Cody.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
37 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need expert advise

Thanks appreciate the input, alot of good info for you to consider