We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dilemma on where to start my YNP trip.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
33 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Dilemma on where to start my YNP trip.

You mention coming from Billings MT, Bozeman MT,Cody or Jackson. I know the drive will be pretty but need to spend my days in the park. .That is the question which is best for being less time on road? I am very flexible on my dates,thinking mid Jine 2012 ,6 whole days for YNP and GTNP(learned about GTNP from TA) thanks. Will split days as seen on other post. Still some on-site YNP lodging availible. Me and my 2 kids 17 and 20. I was going to fly into Cody per some TA post about nice town and rodeo. Then I got hooked on GTNP and maybe fly into Jackson Hole a nice town.

option 1. Fly in Cody hang out do rodeo and BB musemum. In a.m. drive to YNP do the figure eight (will work at detail soon,more questions later).then to GTNP 2 days.Drive all the way to Cody to fly out. Cody is looking out of the way.

option 2. Fly in Jackson do GTNP 2 days then thru YNP and back to airpot in Jackson. Love to hear from you. Thanks,

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,668 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dilemma on where to start my YNP trip.

Cody isn't too far from the east end of Yellowstone, but yes it's farther than Jackson from the south end of Grand Teton.

Simple fly into Jackson... frankly I didn't even know you could fly into Cody on anything other than a private/charter... or perhaps regional airline.

Cody is a little more rustic than Jackson, lots of people like the museum complex and some enjoy the rodeo... there's a rodeo in Jackson too that could fulfill your rodeo desire to some degree. There's museums down south of GT too worth checking out... wildlife art and so on.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,615 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dilemma on where to start my YNP trip.

With your time frame I would fly into Jackson Hole and spend my time in the parks.

Here is a website with the must sees for YNP-

www.yellowstone.net/topten

This will help you plan your days.

Kids would probably like to do a whitewater or float trip on Snake River- great scenery and wildlife- we like Barker-Ewing.

KCK
Level Contributor
867 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dilemma on where to start my YNP trip.

Kids 17 & 20 would probably have a better time in Jackson. We only did a float trip, but really enjoyed it. Maybe next time I will be brave enough to try white water :)

Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,675 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dilemma on where to start my YNP trip.

Where you fly into/out of should depend a lot on the airline schedule. If I have to spend hours to make a connection to the favored airport or could make a simple connection to one farther away, I might choose the farther airport and have an enjoyable drive instead of wasting time in a terminal. For instance, if I were to fly into Jackson but had to make a connection through Salt Lake City and had a 3 hour layover, I might enjoy the drive up to Jackson or West Yellowstone better than just waiting.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,615 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dilemma on where to start my YNP trip.

That is correct RM-MN. We always try to do a less than 2 hour layover because it only takes about 5 hours to drive from Salt Lake City to Jackson Hole. If if it more than 2-3 hours layover you can enjoy the drive up to Jackson Hole.

Texas
Level Contributor
136 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dilemma on where to start my YNP trip.

We are flying to Billings, renting vehicle, and driving to Cody to see BBHC and spend one night. Then driving into park to W. Yellowstone for 4 ngihts. Then to Jackson to fly home out of Jackson. We actually got multi-city tickets for less than round trip to Jackson. Home airport is Houston, so flying CO through Denver connections.

7. Re: Dilemma on where to start my YNP trip.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2013, 09:22