We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help needed planning for the Canyon Area

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
324 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Help needed planning for the Canyon Area

I'm working on our itinerary for our July trip and I need some advice for our time in the Canyon Area (staying in Dunraven Lodge). We have a late afternoon/evening of day #1 and then a morning/early afternoon of day #2

What's the most efficient way for us to experience; Upper & Lower Falls, Artist Point, South Rim Drive & Uncle Tom's Trail? Am I forgetting something impt.? I'm sure that my plan had a lot of backtracking involved, so I thought I'd ask the experts.

Thanks everyone!

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,134 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help needed planning for the Canyon Area

I would probably do the North rim ( the side closest to your lodging) the first afternoon, then would do the South rim including Artist Point the next AM. From Artist Point you can see a rainbow over the falls between 945 and 10AM according to the book Photographing Yellowstone Natl Park.

Drive down in to Hayden both in the late afternoon and early AM to see what you can see.

Pam

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
324 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help needed planning for the Canyon Area

Thanks for replying Pam. :) But more specifically, are some of these sights better seen by driving or should we park & hike? For example, I know that we want to walk the steps for Uncle Tom's, so is there a specific order that makes the most sense for driving, parking & hiking for the above mentioned places?

Edited: 07 February 2012, 23:23
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,134 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help needed planning for the Canyon Area

On the North rim you will drive from overlook to overlook, then at each stop walk down a trail. Same with S. rim. You will park at the Uncle Tom's parking lot then do the trail down if you choose, then drive to Artists Point and walk out to that. From there, several trails branch off away from the canyon which you can hike.

You need to be extremely bear aware if you hike away from the canyon. The trailhead to Wapiti Lake is between the bridge crossing the Yellowstone leading to the south rim and Uncle Tom's parking lot, and it was on this trail a mile or so in that the first hiker was killed last year.

Pam

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
324 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help needed planning for the Canyon Area

Thanks...I think I understand things better now. Don't worry, we are definitely planning on being VERY bear aware. My husband is quite manly, but he is terrified of bears! I will make a note of the location that you mentioned.

PS. I'm sure I'll have more questions again soon. It's almost July you know!!

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,134 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help needed planning for the Canyon Area

That trail was closed last year after the death. I wonder if they will open it this year or not since they disposed of the bear.

LOL, I was thinking it was almost summer! You better take notes while you travel because you are going to have to write up a trip report for us!

Pam

6. Re: Help needed planning for the Canyon Area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2013, 10:20