We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which itinerary would you choose?

Orlando, Florida
10 posts
Save Topic
Which itinerary would you choose?

Plan A

2 nights in Cody

2 nights in Canyon

2 nights at Old Faithful

2 nights Jackson

Or

Plan B

2 nights in Cody

2 nights in Canyon

1 night in Mammoth

2 nights Old Faithful

2 nights Jackson

Which itinerary would you choose? I am thinking there isn’t a need for the night in Mammoth and that we could cover all we want to see in one day driving the loop from Canyon into Mammoth and down into Old Faithful, reserving the next day to explore the Old Faithful Area. Is this realistic?

I haven’t traveled to YSNP since I was a teenager. We are planning late Aug and I have reservations, but can cancel the one in Mammoth.

Mentioned in this post
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
Old Faithful
Old Faithful
3,928 Reviews
Yellowstone National Park, WY
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which itinerary would you choose?

i would do grand tetons instead of jackson

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
6,109 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Which itinerary would you choose?

If you cancel the night in Mammoth where would you go that night since its in the middle of your itinerary?

And Jackson is close enough to Grand Teton Park to use it as a base if you don't want to stay inside the park or can't get lodging in the park.

Deb

Orlando, Florida
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which itinerary would you choose?

Sorry Deb, I did not word my question correctly. I am asking is it realistic to cancel the night in Mammoth and just stay at Old Faithful (2 nights). We will be leaving Canyon Lodge early and thought we would be able to explore Mammoth and still have time to drive into Old Faithful for the night. I do not think we will use a full day just exploring Mammoth. What do you think? I can change my reservations in Cody and Canyon (I have checked availability) by moving them up and canceling the extra day in Mammoth.

Mentioned in this post
Old Faithful
Old Faithful
3,928 Reviews
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
Orlando, Florida
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which itinerary would you choose?

Thanks everyone for the help.

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,481 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which itinerary would you choose?

Not sure what you decided? But I think Mammoth is worth a stop, but we don't spend much time there. We actually cancelled our night there last time and went on out of the park to Chico Hot Springs. (But it was on our way back home) And no good food places, so the cooler at the picnic tables there is our preference. If you do stay, be sure to check out the Map Room. I much prefer OF area, there is always something to see in the basin. Enjoy your trip.

Orlando, Florida
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Which itinerary would you choose?

Thanks thbergs for the advice, it is much appreciated.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
332 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which itinerary would you choose?

I'll add my 2 cents. We previously stayed in West Yellowstone and did that side of the park from Mammoth to South entrance, but only did Mammoth as a drive thru. We too are in the planning trip stage, focusing on areas from northeast entrance to east entrance. We had originally planned to stay in Gardiner just for the sake of Mammoth, but after reading from various sources, we have instead decided to just do a stop at Mammoth and skip an overnight stay in that area. Will stay in either Cooke City or Tower Roosevelt area.

Edited: 10 March 2012, 06:08
Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
455 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which itinerary would you choose?

We did something similar, but in the other direction, and stayed at Roosevelt instead of Canyo after leaving OFI, There is a lot to see on the route between OF and Canyon, and while most of the stops do not require a lot of time, once you add it all up it makes for a long day.

Are you planning any time in Lamar Valley? Highly recommended for critter watching. If this is to be part of your journey from Canyon to the west side, then the night in Mammoth might be the better way to go. You could explore Lamar on the way, get to Mammoth late afternoon and still have some time to explore there a bit. Next day finish Mammoth early then head to OF with many options for places to see along the way (Norris Geyser Basin, Lower GB, Midway GB are all high on the list; Midway with Grand Prismatic Spring is amazing).

Mentioned in this post
Lamar Valley
Lamar Valley
2,364 Reviews
Norris Geyser Basin
Norris Geyser Basin
817 Reviews
Grand Prismatic Spring
Grand Prismatic Spring
2,318 Reviews
Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
332 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which itinerary would you choose?

Well, if I had the choice of 4 days or 5 days in YNP, I would choose 5. We had 4 full days in the park last visit, and we didn't feel like that was enough. There were a lot of things we wanted to see, but we ran out of time.

10. Re: Which itinerary would you choose?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 16:42