We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheaper Accomadation

UK
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
Cheaper Accomadation

I am starting to plan a family holiday for August 2013. We are looking to spend about a week around the area. I am trying to find a base that is viable for accessing all the attractions of the area.

Jackson Hole seems very expensive is there an alternative which is cheaper offering cabins, condos etc.

Thanks for your help.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
19,514 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheaper Accomadation

It is really difficult and not recommended to see Yellowstone from Jackson or Grand Teton because of the distance. You might want to split your time between the two parks. If you actually have a whole 7 days in the area, you might want to do 4 in Yellowstone, 2 in Grand Teton and 1 in Cody.

Yellowstone is huge. Here is a link to the *official* map. When you are figuring how much time it will take to get places, double the mileage for time (21 miles = 42 minutes with no stops for sightseeing or wildlife jams).

nps.gov/pwr/customcf/apps/maps/showmap.cfm…

Pam

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheaper Accomadation

Family = what? How many? Kids, what ages? This information will help us to help you with re: lodging and, if you like, what to do.

The Frontier Cabins in Yellowstone NP are the cheapest, but provide limited bed counts; you'll need to go to the official website (pasted below with important comments).

Otherwise, for YNP, lodge in Gardiner or West Yellowstone, MT. Go to the TA Forum page for each, select "Hotels", from the left hand colyumn. There you will find lodgings, reviews, etc. You can then contact the ones that look promising for your family's needs.

Lodging in the park - http://www.travelyellowstone.com/

The above website represents the Official and Only Authorized Lodging Vendor for Yellowstone National Park. Don't use other agencies, they charge a service fee and they have to contact Xanterra themselves which you can do for free.

Monitor the website continuously and, if you can, call at least once a day as cancellations often occur. Lodging locations, costs, reservations, camping, things to do and much more are on this website.

Edited: 18 March 2012, 20:23
Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
2,780 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheaper Accomadation

It will be difficult to find one place to use as a base for seeing both YNP and GTNP because of the distances involved. I would suggest looking at the maps on both park websites to get a better idea of mileage and the park layouts.

If you wish to stay inside the park (YNP) there are differing options for accommodations in various price ranges. The Xanterra website will describe these for you - or you can read the "Top Question" on this subject - on the upper right of this page. The GTNP website will direct you to the lodging company there.

If you choose to stay outside the parks, Jackson is the closest town to GTNP. You should be able to get fairly reasonably priced lodging if you make your reservations in advance.

For YNP, West Yellowstone and Gardiner are the 2 closest gateway towns. There are reasonably priced motels in both towns.

Just remember that these are all vacation destinations with a limited tourist season, so prices will reflect that - as they do at most vacation destinations.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,684 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheaper Accomadation

It is, indeed, expensive to stay in Jackson or most of the surrounding communities. In very general terms, we've found Jackson to be the most expensive. West Yellowstone is a bit less but the town isn't very attractive. The best "bargain" gateway we've found is Gardiner, MT where we have usually been able to stay for around $100-110/night - far less than what you'll generally find in the other towns. Our favorite stop there is Absaroka Lodge.

Have fun.

So Cal
Level Contributor
8,605 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheaper Accomadation

Colter Bay Cabins might work for you. It's no-frills, but budget-friendly.

Provo, Utah
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheaper Accomadation

Hi,

I'm certain you are starting your plans early enough to schedule anything you'd like to do in the area. Although this is just my opinion, I would base my visit in one of two places in Yellowstone; either the Lake area or Canyon Village.

Yes, it matters how many will be in your party and yes, it matters what you want to see and do. But, having visited Yellowstone and Grand Teton at least 100 times in my life, I can honestly say that Grand Teton is a great place to see but not necessarily stay. That is not to say anything about the lodging or even the scenery, because it is gorgeous. But, there is so much more (once again my opinion) to do in Yellowstone, it is much easier to see the Tetons on a day trip versus staying there with the potential of missing some of Yellowstone due to the distance.

If you could give me some ideas as to what you want to see and do, I'm certain I can help you put together a great travel plan.

UK
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheaper Accomadation

Thanks for all your help so far you all have given me some useful pointers.

We are two adults and the children will be 16 and 13. We are flying from UK probably to Salt Lake City.

We will probably spend a couple of days in SLC then about a week in Utah and a another week to 10 days around Yellowstone/ Teton area followed by maybe Mount Rushmore before flying back. The only thing we have to do is a couple of whitewater rafting trips otherwise everything is open.

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
6,729 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheaper Accomadation

budget wise, in the park we always stay in the least expensive cabins: Lake Lodge, Old Faithful Lodge or Roosevelt. At OF and Rosie, we stay in the no-bathroom cabins. Not everyone is OK walking to the bath house, but it is budget friendly. We send little time there, so the more rustic stay is fine with us. All depends on your comfort level with that.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheaper Accomadation

You say a week in Utah... does that include the southern Utah parks? If so, you know that it will be very hot. A "dry heat" true, hot nonetheless. But, I'd highly recommend that journey, wonderful and unique parks.

http://www.nps.gov/state/ut/

http://www.utah.com/nationalparks/

www.utah.com/nationalparks/grandcircle.htm

Provo, Utah
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheaper Accomadation

Hi,

It's great to spend a week in Utah. Bryce Canyon and Zions are great destinations regardless of the time of year. Utah is sort of split in two when it comes to weather. Bryce Canyon is very high elevation wise, as is parts of Zions. But, on the east side of the state, the Moab area and Canyon Lands, and many other parks are truly located in a high desert ... very dry and very hot during the summer months.

If you need any help with out-of-the-way places to stay while in Utah, I'd be happy to assist you.

As for Yellowstone, if you have the time and would like to see ALL the park has to offer, I suggest looking at the Lake area (cabins) and the Canyon Village area (cabins too) as your base. Then, you will be able to experience Yellowstone at night, the stars, the smells, and the sounds. Old Faithful, Mammoth, Norris, Tower, Roosevelt, Fishing Bridge east to Sylvan Pass, and Hayden Valley all the way to Cooke City, MT will be easily accessible from Canyon Village when you explore the northern areas, and from Lake when you want to explore the southern and western areas.

I like to see wildlife, hike, and fish, so I do like to be around water at least part of the time I'm in the park. I know some would have you save some money by staying just outside the park and that's no problem at all. But, for me, I want to be right inside of the action, and for wildlife viewing, hiking, and exploring, for me, not dealing with the traffic coming and going from the entrances in the park is something to be considered.

A rental car will get you everywhere you want to see in and around the park, and again, depending on your likes and dislikes about venues, horseback riding, chuck wagon dinners at Roosevelt, and other attractions might add to your experience, but that does add significantly to the cost per day.

I'm excited that you're coming to the park and if there is anything more I can assist you with, I'd be honored to assist you.