We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping Equipment- minimalist suggestions please

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
419 posts
235 reviews
Save Topic
Camping Equipment- minimalist suggestions please

We typically car camp and until our upcoming July/August trip, weight was never a concern. We will be flying to Jackson and now weight has very much become a concern. We are camping 3 nights in GNP and 3 nights in YNP. I've spent the past year upgrading/trading in our heavier, but necessary equipment. That said, we are a family of 4 and I would love some opinions as to what items I may be forgetting.

We will bring:

Tent/stakes/footprint (REI kingdom 6)

4 sleeping bags

4 sleep pads (r value 7)

collapsible weekend cooler

msr whisperlite stove (buy fuel when we get there)

GSI cookset (includes saute pan/pot, etc)

Bear cannister

Some cook utensils we'll include inside something

Maybe a few crazy creek type chairs

As far as camping - what am I forgetting?

Thanks!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,282 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping Equipment- minimalist suggestions please

Flashlights for everyone! Maybe a collapsible fishing pole. You can also pick up anything else you need in Jackson at Kmart and then donate to rangers or leave at a thrift store. If you are not backpacking you won't need the bear canister, you have to keep everything in your car in the campgrounds.

Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,432 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping Equipment- minimalist suggestions please

There is also a good outdoor consignment store in Jackson called Headwall Sports. Many things like your chairs & cooler can be picked up here. If they are in good shape at the end of the trip, you could even try to resell them again. The owner mails checks if you do no live in town.

Other stores rent camping equipment too.

The park service rents bear cannisters if you are backpacking, but if you are car camping, there is no need for this. Either way, leave this at home.

When you pick up your fuel, buy bear spray too. As far as light is concerned, i appreciate a good headlamp for hands free.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
419 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping Equipment- minimalist suggestions please

Ahhh yes, light! We do have good head lamps and a nice black diamond low weigh light.

Great info on picking up stuff. So no need for a bear canister at a car camping site? We have reservations at Canyon. In Virginia, we need to put our food up, but in a cooler in the car is about it. Not really bear country out here. I know things are much stricter out there- just don't know all the rules and regs.

Again- great info. Thanks.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,282 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camping Equipment- minimalist suggestions please

YS and Teton Campgrounds require you to put all food and anything with a scent (shampoo, soap, etc) in your car when you are not using them. This also includes stoves. Also no snacks or drinks other than water in the tents.

Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,432 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camping Equipment- minimalist suggestions please

Yes, no need for a bear canister if you are car camping. I probably was wrong about used coolers at Headwall as they concentrate on higher end stuff but you can figure that out on your own. If it takes a lot of space, I would think about it twice as you can buy one for less than price of extra luggage on an airline.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Camping Equipment- minimalist suggestions please

If you haven't already booked your flight, or could change it to fly into Bozeman, there's an REI there where you can rent a tent and sleeping bags.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
419 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Camping Equipment- minimalist suggestions please

Was thinking of flying into Bozeman, but flights are now much cheaper into Jackson. But we'll be heading north first to GNP so we will pass Missoula and there's an REI store there- a very dangerous place where I spend wads of cash.

8. Re: Camping Equipment- minimalist suggestions please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2013, 09:30