We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Altitude sickness prevention

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
18,677 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
Altitude sickness prevention

Just heard a blurb on the news regarding this, so went to the source material. Looks like ibuprofen helped in 26% of the time taken 6 hours before going to altitude. The research group went to 12,570 which is higher than most go in Yellowstone or the surrounding areas.

med.stanford.edu/ism/2012/march/altitude.html

We got a lot of questions last summer about altitude, so maybe this will help if someone does a search on the topic.

Pam

Hendersonville, NC
Level Contributor
644 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Altitude sickness prevention

Hi Pam, thanks so much for posting. I actually saw my family doctor about prescribing Diamox because of concerns for my September road trip, and he said that patients he's prescribed it for have had good results. Still, I think I'll start out trying the ibuprofen and then switch to the Diamox if it's not affective.

Thanks again. (by the way, five and a half months and counting!).

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,677 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Altitude sickness prevention

Mtnwriter, you really are going to have to do a day to day trip report!

It would be interesting to hear your Doc's take on the new report. Good to have things to swap off with as well.

Pam

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
308 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Altitude sickness prevention

Thats good to know about ibuprofen. I had altitude sickness once on a trip to Keystone, Co. It wasn't much fun. I never got it on a road trip, so I'm heading up the long way. :)

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Altitude sickness prevention

Re: Diamox, interesting side use is altitude sickness.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000766/

Ironically, some of the side effects are those similar to altitude sickness. Go figure... :)

Good article on WebMD; only two pages, on page 2, Diamox! But there are other ways to relieve the symptoms and these are included.

Edited: 22 March 2012, 03:05
Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
449 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Altitude sickness prevention

Thanks for posting that about ibuprofen. I'll give that a try when we are in YNP in June. Last year we were in my wife's home country of Taiwan and we stayed one night at a lodge at 11,000 ft (after driving straight from the beach that morning). I was a bit short of breath and didn't sleep much but headaches were only mild. That was only one night so I'm wondering how I'll handle 2 weeks in Yellowstone.

-Tim

Edited: 22 March 2012, 10:39
Marlborough...
Level Contributor
493 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Altitude sickness prevention

thanks for posting that. i have considered calling my dr when our trip gets closer as i am one of those people who seem to be insanely sensitive to different things in terms of affecting my body.

if something stupid is going to happen, it will happen to me. my husband will be totally fine but it will happen to me ;-)

--poster formerly known as "punkass" still not sure what's going on with my screen name ;-)

Marlborough...
Level Contributor
493 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Altitude sickness prevention

on second thought in that stanford article it says one of the side effects of the Rx altitude meds can be "delirium."

ill take some of that please :-)

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,677 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Altitude sickness prevention

Tim, actually I think 2 weeks will be better than one night. You adjust after a couple of days (unless you are getting the kind of sick people do in really high elevations like Tibet where you need to be airflighted to a lower elevation) so you should be good for that long a trip.

Pam

(sighing over the possibility of 2 WHOLE weeks in Yellowstone!)

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,677 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Altitude sickness prevention

Well, 3-19-2012 (formerly known as Punkass), the good thing about delirium is you usually don't remember it. Your husband might, tho! Will you be carrying ID with your new *name* on it? And is this an example of weird things happening to you?

So sorry for poking fun, I haven't even had caffeine yet!

Pam

Marlborough...
Level Contributor
493 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Altitude sickness prevention

yes this name thing is definitely one of the silly things that would only happen to me! i feel like im having an identity crisis! im caught between 3 different names! who am i?!?!?!?!

this must be the high altitude delerium!!!

:-D

(and no worries about poking fun, doesnt bother me in the least!)