We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bear Spray

New York
Level Contributor
149 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Bear Spray

Hi, we are flying into Bozeman in Sept and was wondering where we can stop between Bozeman and Gardiner to pick up Bear Spray? Thanks in advance.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,555 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bear Spray

Are you going to stop in Bozeman to get a cooler and stock up on picnic supplies? If so it may be a place where they have bear spray as well.

Pam

Lansing, Michigan
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bear Spray

Saw this on the Yellowstone's FB page.

By September this may be up and running?

bozemandailychronicle.com/news/wildlife/arti…

We're coming up by way of Jackson/Tetons, so I guess we'll be getting ours there when stocking the cooler. Don't think we'll need it in the Rockies, so we'll get it in Jackson.

New York
Level Contributor
149 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bear Spray

Am willing to stop in Bozeman, but would prefer Gardiner area. We land early afternoon so are hoping to get some time in the park the first day but will not be doing any "off road" hiking on the first day. What I'm looking for is the name of stores that carry/stock it. I don't want to drive around for hours looking for it.

I love the idea of renting it, and will keep an eye on the company. Thanks Drgnflyacres

Salt Lake City, UT
Level Contributor
629 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bear Spray

Ahhh! Renting the bear spray was an idea my husband had about 2 years ago!! Darn it...missed the boat on that one. Thanks for that info. We'll be heading to Yellowstone from SLC in July...and will GLADLY purchase and carry our bear spray!

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,555 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bear Spray

I sent an email to the Yellowstone Association to see if their big store in Gardiner sells bear spray. This was their (very fast) reply.

"Pam, yes, we do sell bear spray at the Store in Gardiner. It’s $45.00, and includes a holster which can be attached to a belt or backpack."

So, spny, you can get your bear spray at the Yellowstone Association store in Gardiner. It is the last store on the right before you turn left to go under the Roosevelt Arch to enter the park. There are no stores on the left, it's all parking and chain link fence denoting the edge of the Park.

You may be able to save 10% on it if you join the Yellowstone Association which is a non-profit group that is the educational partner for Yellowstone. Normally you get a discount on any merchandise purchased in the store in Gardiner or in the stores in the park at each visitor center when you show your membership card.

http://www.yellowstoneassociation.org/

Pam

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,373 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bear Spray

... and to add to what Pam says, your money couldn't go to a better cause. Two thumbs up for YA.

Lansing, Michigan
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bear Spray

Bear Spray available at all YA stores? We'll be coming up from the South/Tetons.

YA Membership -- can I buy it once I'm there or is this something I can do before the trip...Need to do something to make June get here faster!!

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,555 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bear Spray

Drgnfly, you can get it ahead of time. Go to the link in my last post and *Become a Member* is in the middle of the top bar.

When you are in Yellowstone, be aware that there are different kinds of stores. The Yellowstone Association stores are in the Visitor Centers and the big one just outside the Roosevelt Arch in Gardiner. There are General Stores that have a variety of *stuff* run by Delaware North Company and there are also Gift shops in the Xanterra facilities. You can only get 10% off at the Yellowstone Association Stores.

No matter what, supporting YA is important to me. They furnish all the paper area guides you will pick up at the various sites. They are usually at the start of a trail and you are asked to leave 50cents or so. Many use them and put them back when they leave. I always keep them! Can't help it!

Pam

Edited: 29 March 2012, 16:26
Lansing, Michigan
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Bear Spray

YA Membership -- will add it to my "to do before June" List

...And then I could file those paper area guides in my infamous Yellowstone folder right!?

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,555 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bear Spray

Of course!! They will be the new additions so next winter when you are thinking about Yellowstone, you and your son (??) can sip hot chocolate and thumb thru your files!

Pam