We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Embarrassing campfire question

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
427 posts
236 reviews
Save Topic
Embarrassing campfire question

I'm really highly embarrassed to ask this. We've been car camping numerous times and cook using a campfire and basic camp stove. We will be camping for a several days both in GNP and YS and since we're flying- we've reduced/minimized our gear. We will have an MSR whisperlite and the campfire to cook.

I was looking at things/ways to cook on the fire (besides hot dogs) and I've never really done the aluminum foil thing b/c we never seem to have a decent supply of ash. Most websites say put the aluminum foil not directly on the fire, but in white hot coals. Embarrassing question in 3....2.....1..... Do they mean charcoal? Like Kingsford? Can you or do you put charcoal in a campfire pit? It has just never crossed my mind to use anything but wood.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
7,012 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Embarrassing campfire question

>in white hot coals...Do they mean charcoal?

They probably mean the super-heated firewood char (as opposed to store-bought charcoal) that ends up at the bottom of the campfire, but outside the flames. For example, if you're cooking corn-on-the-cob, you can wrap the corn in aluminum foil and place it at the bottom of the fire, quite near the flames, to cook. If you instead place it directly in the flames, it will cook ok, but even double-wrapped is likely to scorch.

Edited: 11 May 2012, 21:24
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
4,681 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Embarrassing campfire question

google Pouch cooking and aluminum foil cooking. Alton Brown has a good eats episode on pouch cooking.

Be sure to check out the restrictions on fuel tanks on flights.

Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,505 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Embarrassing campfire question

We cook our corn that way )in the firewood char but make sure

1. to turn it a lot

2. douse it in water or chix broth first so they steam more than scorch.

(this also works well for cabbage, and any other type of veggies).

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Embarrassing campfire question

Cabbage while camping? Cruel thought! :)

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
7,012 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Embarrassing campfire question

We take the husks off and then slather the corn with butter, then double-wrap each ear in foil and - as BBD says - turn it a lot while it's in the coals. If you absolutely must eat vegetables, this is pretty good eating. Pitch your tent at least 100 yards from the campfire.

Edited: 11 May 2012, 23:18
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,231 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Embarrassing campfire question

Voyaging, perhaps BBD makes some kind of gourmet recipe for cabbage wrapped marshmallow/chocolate square s'mores??

Pam

(who is thinking the cabbage would prevent the marshmallows from flaming up!)

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,681 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Embarrassing campfire question

General Pouch Recipe

Meat

Veg 1-3

Starch

Aromatic

Liquid

Seasoning

Avoid acids in aluminum foil, vinegar, wine, tomatoes.

Experiment at home before going.

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Embarrassing campfire question

I make tin foil dinners alot. Use charcoal. It heats more evenly than charred wood. We use charcoal alot in the campfire grates.I think that is a legit question. No need to be embarrassed.

Edited: 12 May 2012, 00:39
Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
427 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Embarrassing campfire question

Thanks for the recipe ideas- they sound yummy. And we just always seem to not have enough or hot enough char wood to really cook, but maybe I just haven't tried enough. Interesting that you can use charcoal though- never knew that. Thank you guys. I know I'm asking a ton of questions on here, but the trip is near and details are coming together :)

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
696 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Embarrassing campfire question

We make foil dinners all the time using Kingsford charcoal. Make a nice pile of it and spread it evenly in the fire ring. We usually use chunks of chicken, sliced potatoes and carrots. Mmmm, I'm getting hungry. Just be sure to not make the foil pouches too thick.....the food doesn't get evenly cooked.