We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

haven't a clue about binoculars but..........

Yonkers, New York
Level Contributor
188 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
haven't a clue about binoculars but..........

my son-in-law offered to loan me a pair. vivitar, 7 x 50,

297ft @ 1000yds. pretty heavy.

would these be suitable for ynp?

Cinnaminson, New...
Level Contributor
588 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: haven't a clue about binoculars but..........

I think with only 7x you may want more power. Depending on what you want to see, like wildlife, they can be far off the road in one of the many valleys, such as Lamar Valley or Hayden Valley.

My first trip I had a pair of 8x42's and while not heavy, I wanted better magnification. I recommend at least 10x for good far wildlife spotting. Me personally, I will have a 20-60x60 spotting scope, along with my Bushnell 12x50 Powerview binocs. My new binoculars are the same physical size as what you have, but much lighter.

You can usually get a decent pair of binoculars for around $50, and much lighter than what you currently have.

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: haven't a clue about binoculars but..........

They COULD be suitable. Opinions vary widely on what binoculars people like. For the price, they are definitely worth giving a try.

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
7,758 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: haven't a clue about binoculars but..........

Tom K- personal question I know, but do you wear glasses? I have hard time with binoculars because of them. And for the OP, heavy is important if you are hiking or backpacking, but not as much for stopping roadside to view.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,007 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: haven't a clue about binoculars but..........

If you wear glasses, and I do, you want adjustable eye relief. Here is a comment from one of the binocular sites:

"Eye Relief

The distance a binocular can be held away from the eye and still present the full field of view. Extended or long eye relief reduces eyestrain and is ideal for eyeglass wearers."

Fold up, fold down, rubber eye relief binoculars are not worth it. Adjustables, i.e., twistable, are far better as you can adjust them to your needs.

Tom and I disagree about binoculars, and what you get for the buck. But we are in friendly disagreement. :)

A good scope is nice, but not if you'll use it for just one trip - unless it is relatively inexpensive. Most of us will gladly let you look through our scopes. If you want inexpensive binos and scope, go for it, it will make the trip better.

8 x 42 is fine. 10 x 42 a bit more power - if your hands are steady.

Wildlife viewing and photography, prepared by several TAs: http://tinyurl.com/7dt5xe2

I just Googled the loaned Vivitars; they are porro prism binos prone to misalignment which can give you headaches and you won't know which eye to use. Roof prism binos are better.

Edited: 14 May 2012, 21:54
Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,007 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: haven't a clue about binoculars but..........

Thought your name familiar, harvey d; I'd provided that website to you much earlier. You did not do your assignment and read it (or, if read, learn from it). :(

Cinnaminson, New...
Level Contributor
588 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: haven't a clue about binoculars but..........

I do not wear glasses, but I do wear contacts. I noticed that with my scope, I sometimes have to readjust my eye to see clearly, but so far with my Bushnell's I've been pleasantly surprised. The eye relief is pretty good, where I've tried them with my sunglasses and so far so good.

I think the best thing to do with binoculars is, if you can, test them out in the store. I've always used the larger 50mm bino's so I'm used to them and prefer them. I also have very steady hands so the larger ones don't bother me, and my wife loves them too.

As far as the magnafication, I recommend either 10x or 12x just because I like to see everything. With the Bushnell Powerviews, it's easy to focus on close things or far away, and are very crisp.

Again, my personal opinions :)

Yonkers, New York
Level Contributor
188 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: haven't a clue about binoculars but..........

i should have mentioned that i seriously doubt i would have need of

binoculars after this trip. cannot see investing 200 or 300 for a pair.

thanks for the feedback.

Yonkers, New York
Level Contributor
188 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: haven't a clue about binoculars but..........

voyaging,

i did read that website. way beyond where i am.

Cinnaminson, New...
Level Contributor
588 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: haven't a clue about binoculars but..........

harvey d,

That is why I recommended the Bushnells. You can pick them up at Walmart for around $50 or $60. Very good, lightweight binocs, and they have different sizes and powers. I agree, $200 or more is way too much for me, but $50 is well spent.

Yonkers, New York
Level Contributor
188 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: haven't a clue about binoculars but..........

thanks tom. i will check them out.