We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellowstone in a Day - anyone?

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
117 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Yellowstone in a Day - anyone?

We will have two nights in Yellowstone and are considering doing the Yellowstone in a Day ( yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/yellow-bus… ) and were looking for reviews. Anyone done this? We are staying in the Old Faithful area. We often vacation by cruise-ship and are used to doing excursions that sound similar to what this outing would be.

Thanks.

Jackson, Wyoming
Level Contributor
205 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yellowstone in a Day - anyone?

I haven't done this tour and don't know anyone who has, here is what I do know: You can certainly manage a grand tour of Yellowstone in a day in a car, and see all the big attractions and some of the smaller ones. Especially if you are staying at Old Faithful and can do that attraction on the first day or in the morning after your second night. My comment about this kind of tour is that you are dependent on the other passengers who book the tour. If you are ready to leave Mammoth before everyone else you could lose valuable time. I prefer to be on my own schedule. It says the tour minimum is 3 people, and I don't see a price listed. If you don't like to or are afraid to drive then I suppose it's an option. The great thing about our national parks is that they are intended to be self touring.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,423 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yellowstone in a Day - anyone?

Here are the must sees for Yellowstone- the park roads are like a giant figure 8 and very easy to drive around-

https://yellowstone.net/intro/top-10/

Drive yourself and you will enjoy your visit!!

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
117 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yellowstone in a Day - anyone?

Thanks for the replies and the link. One thing we were thinking about was that whichever of us is driving won't get to see as much on the drive around. Plus we will be in the car every day for the entire ten days we will be out that way except for the Saturday we will be at Yellowstone. So we thought it might be nice for someone else to drive us. We are a family of four. The price is $77/person.

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
5,882 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yellowstone in a Day - anyone?

While the driver certainly must watch the road, the speed is slow, there are pullouts fairly often- almost always at a very scenic spot. You will want to park and walk around the major areas, so it would be easy to trade off driving often. You can certainly take the tour, the guide will most likely have information to share as you travel around. However, another option is to get the book Yellowstone Treasures by Janet Chapple. It takes you through the entire park, has mile information as well as a ton of information about what you will be seeing. That would free you up to spend as much or as little time at any area or scenic lookout as your family likes. Also, you would have your cooler with food and drink- so you could eat when and where you want. Be sure if you are driving, to get an ice cream break - many recommend the Huckleberry :)

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
117 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yellowstone in a Day - anyone?

thbergs, thanks for your reply and recommendation of the Yellostone Treasures book. We will definitely take this under consideration. And for the ice cream break recommendation.

If we do go with the Yellowstone in a Day, we'll be sure to post a review when we get back.

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
5,882 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yellowstone in a Day - anyone?

Daughter worked in the park- I mentioned the trip to her today. They do one like it for training. She said the guides are usually very good. And to make sure you know it isn't an Old Yellow Bus tour. She mentioned the option of doing one of the part day tours and then doing the rest on your own. What ever you decide- enjoy!

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
117 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yellowstone in a Day - anyone?

thbergs, thanks for checking with your daughter. We looked at the Old Yellow Bus tours but there weren't any that matched up as well with what we wanted to see and do in our limited time at YNP. We're staying in the Old Faithful area because we knew that was the one thing we absolutely wanted to see; everything else is "bonus" but we certainly don't want to go to YNP and ONLY see Old Faithful when there is so much else.

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
5,882 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yellowstone in a Day - anyone?

You know your interests, so whatever you decide, it will be great to be in the park. She just didn't want you to be disappointed in the transportation. She is taking an evening bus tour herself this August- will make sure she posts a review for others.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
117 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yellowstone in a Day - anyone?

thbergs - good point because I can see how easy it would be to think you're doing the Old Yellow Bus the way it's laid out initally. We are frequent cruisers and this sounds like the kind of thing we'd book at a cruise port. So we'll see how it turns out or if we decide to do it all on our own.

Thanks again.

Burlington, Iowa...
Level Contributor
592 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yellowstone in a Day - anyone?

This is thbergs daughter :) Thought I'd throw in another thing to consider....I remember when we saw two grizzlies on the tour, we'd have to wait for the bus to find a large parking spot before we could get off and check it out. They're rarely next to a pull out :) You may end up missing the wildlife. It's easier to see wildlife and stop to see it in your own car. You're definitely on their time schedule for sure and I'd hate for you to want to stay and see more but have to catch your ride.

Get answers to your questions about Yellowstone National...