We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

july 2013 - coming back to Yellowstone

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
285 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
july 2013 - coming back to Yellowstone

Considering planning a second trip to Yellowstone. We will be coming from South Dakota & heading to Rock Springs after the trip. Last summer, we spent 3 nights in the little yellow cabins at the Lake & one night at Old Faithful. Loved it! Just curious if there is lodging at Canyon that is similar to the yellow cabins. We are a family of 5, with kids 13, 11, & 9 next year. We liked having our own cabin. And our room at OF was wonderful, I loved staying there!

We were usually up and out of our room by 6 am to view wildlife. Would love to here others ideas on good places to stay in the park.

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
7,105 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: july 2013 - coming back to Yellowstone

there are cabins at Canyon, though not exactly like those at Lake. There are also cabins at Old Faithful Snow Lodge and Old Faithful Lodge. We love the cabin area at Old Faithful Lodge. We also like the cabins at Lake Lodge- you may have seen them while at Lake Hotel cabins. Mammoth has cabins as well as Roosevelt. We also love Roosevelt cabins. The area is a bit more rustic (less "stuff") than Lake or Old Faithful, but the area is great and one of the best places to eat in my opinion. Roosevelt would get you into the wildlife area. Kids would also love the cookout there. There are three bed cabins at Roosevelt, not sure about the others.

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
7,105 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: july 2013 - coming back to Yellowstone

not all cabins at Old Faithful lodge and Roosevelt have their own bathroom. Central shower and bathrooms. if that is important to you ( wasn't to us) make sure you know what you are getting.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
4,061 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: july 2013 - coming back to Yellowstone

Roosevelt Roughrider Cabins are rustic cabin units are sparsely furnished and heated with wood burning stoves and typically contain two beds and are all without bathrooms. Communal showers and bathrooms are located nearby.

Roosevelt Frontier cabins have a bath.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
285 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: july 2013 - coming back to Yellowstone

thanks for the replies. I think with kids, I would prefer bathrooms within the cabins. I remember the lake lodge cabins & I might enjoy a cabin at OF, last trip i splurged on a frontside room, second floor. Loved it and the little covered walkway with benches to view old faithful!

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
7,105 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: july 2013 - coming back to Yellowstone

you can still be inside the inn and enjoy it even if you don't stay there. We visit after dark and enjoy the music, then wander back to our cabin. just be animal aware.

6. Re: july 2013 - coming back to Yellowstone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 09:15