We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothing

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
1,383 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Clothing

So in all reality...is the folling fine for august trip?? convertible long pants (with zip off legs), a couple other shorts, t shirts a plenty, a couple of different shirts (nicer) for end of our trip when we are in Bozeman for 2 nights, a waterproof jacket, a zip up fleece (like a northface), something to sleep in, a long sleeve shirt (columbia type thin).......then for shoes....sneakers,keens, a decent pair of sandals for end of trip, a cheap pair of flip flops for cabins and bathrooms. Does this sound correct.....I dont want to go crazy as we normally are very light packers. But I want to be prepared as well. We are from the northeast so we dont get cold easily.....please let me know what else if anything as far as clothes!!!

Bucks County...
Level Contributor
458 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clothing

Hi webbsue-- Unlike you, I'm normally a heavy packer, so trying to settle on all that I'd like to bring vs. what is most necessary-- and what will fit into my suitcase and not make it overweight is a challenge for me.

I kept this link that you've probably already seen, but for anyone else who's interested, there's a wealth of information for newbies about what to bring: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28973-c100586/Wyomin… Scroll down to "Packing and Clothing" for some ideas-- it sounds to me like you're on the right track with your list so far. I'm struggling with wanting to bring enough warm clothes to be comfortable out at 5 a.m. in the cold mornings. Bringing layers doesn't seem warm enough, especially standing around with binoculars in the early morning, but if I bring my warmer jacket, it'll take up a lot of room in my suitcase.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
3,339 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clothing

Generally good. Just remember it can snow any day of they year. My nephew didn't believe me until we were fishing at a back country lake when a snowstorm dumped 5" of snow on us, that was the first week of August. Good insurance policy to add is a light pair of gloves, just enough to keep the wind off. Shoes. You may want a second pair of sneakers or hiking shoes/boots. If it rains while you are out you want a pair of dry not muddy shoes to change into. Also sneakers wear a lot faster. One week in Yellowstone seems to age them two years of normal use.

Hat and sunscreen.

Small umbrella is a good addition.

Edited: 23 May 2012, 18:21
Albany, New York
Level Contributor
1,383 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clothing

Oh yes ...i forgot, I was going to bring thin gloves!! And good idea on the wet shoes!!! For sure on the sunscreen and hats too!! To Lornadune...I did see that but I may check it out again, thanks, and I can say for sure that I am NOT packing or wearing a winter jacket in august, I dont care if it snows 15 feet!!! That is just me, but I know myself, and being from the northeast there are many days when I am out in a snowstorm shoveling with just a fleece on, so I will be ok......and hey if I am not, I can buy a yellowstone sweatshirt or just put on EVERYTHING I bring!! LOL

Cinnaminson, New...
Level Contributor
501 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clothing

All of my previous trips were in late August, so I can go from experience. I pretty much had a couple pair of jeans and a couple pair of cargo shorts, plenty of short-sleeve tshirts, a rain poncho (never needed it) and a good hoodie.

Shoes - only took my hiking boots and a pair of sandals. I wore my boots almost everywhere, including on the plane. Sandals were if we got back early and went to eat. Remember, most airlines have a weight limit before they charge crazy $$$ for overages.

This year we are going late June to early July and I did get a new rain jacket and new hiking pants. I plan on taking a couple pairs of jeans and shorts again. I don't mind cold weather and wearing jeans when I go hiking.

Jackson, Wyoming
Level Contributor
205 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Clothing

Several pairs of good socks?

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,993 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Clothing

LOL, GoWyo! and Underwear?? Anyway, I would just take sneakers and keens. I would forget the sandals and flipflops unless you are going to shower in the flipflops, then I'd put them in. You can wear the keens anywhere in Bozeman, I would guess. It's a pretty casual Montana town.

I would just bring just 1 other pair of shorts, but would probably add another pair of long pants (what are you wearing on the plane?) or crop pants unless the weather is showing as being very warm at night the week before you leave.

The upper layers sound good to me. Fleece and a waterproof jacket can get me thru a lot. You sound like me, in that I wind up getting hot when I shovel so often will shovel in a long sleeve thermal T and a polarfleece vest.

I agree with the light gloves and also add maybe a polarfleece headband.

@LornaDune, you might look at the compression packing bags. A medium would probably be good for your jacket. The bags are light, but will squish your jacket down to nothing. Make sure you fold it so zippers are in. You can often find them in the travel section of KMart, also I've seen them at my local AAA office which has a nice selection of travel accessories. If you can't find them, you can order from RickSteves.com. Don't get the kind you use a vacuum on, get the kind you roll to get the air out. I would also recommend you wear/carry your jacket on the plane so it takes up no room at all!!

Pam

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
1,383 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Clothing

I will be wearing the flip flops in the shower......i know sounds extreme, but i cant help it!! I was just bringing the slip on sandals for my own relief. I figured by the end of the trip I would just want to be in pain old sandals!! Havent decided what we would be wearing on the plane but more than likely either capris or another pair of the long zip off pants. Thanks for the help....again ;)

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,993 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Clothing

No, it does not sound extreme! I am sure you and I are normal and everyone else is not! lolol!

I would bring the other pair of zip off pants or wear them. I flew about a month ago and could not believe how cold I was on the plane! The terminals were hot, but I felt like I needed a pashmina or something on the planes! Second thought...are the zips metal on the pants? If so, pack them and wear the capris! Anything you can do to cut down on potential hassle at security is worthwhile!

Pam

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
1,383 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Clothing

Well Pam I will have the hassle anyway.....I had 3 screws put in my foot for a fusion about 10 weeks ago, so I have plenty of metal already!! I know what you mean about the plane. I always have something to cover up with......and I DO NOT MEAN those gross blue blankets from the plane!!!! LOL

Marlborough...
Level Contributor
513 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Clothing

Our trip is coming up in a few weeks (mid June) and here is what I am planning on bringing.

*one pair hiking sneakers

*flip flops (I think we are sharing bathrooms at both our lodgings)

*muchos socks

*muchos underwear

*warm PJs

*one pair convertible pants

*one pair jeans

*muchos t-shirts

*my really beat up and old but lined windpants just in case

*several long sleeved shirts

*couple tank tops (cant help myself)

*2-3 pairs regular running type shorts

*vinyl-type windbreaker/rainjacket (unlined)

*lined fleece jacket

*winter hat

*gloves

*scarf

*baseball hat (I burn easily in the sun)

*SUNBLOCK

*sunglasses

*umbrella

*bug spray

*one hoodie

*band aids (for blisters on feetsies!)

I think I got everything clothing related or YNP specific. obviously I have other things to bring (toiletries, camera, books, etc)

Anyone have any advice on socks? Are regular sport socks good for a lot of walking or should I go get some thick socks? I have no idea what kind of socks are best for hiking and a lot of walking.

Im wondering if I need a second pair of sneakers in case my hiking shoes get wet.