We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visiting yellowstone in September

PA
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
visiting yellowstone in September

Does gps work in the park?

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
20,611 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visiting yellowstone in September

It should work anywhere your unit can lock on satellites. Were you thinking you would need it for navigation in Yellowstone? You won't as there is just one figure 8 road.

Pam

PA
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: visiting yellowstone in September

Thanks Pam!

Chandler, Arizona
Level Contributor
136 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visiting yellowstone in September

Wouldn't GPS be useful when hiking? As a safeguard against getting lost (or at least as a way to know which direction to go to get back to the trailhead?)

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,611 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: visiting yellowstone in September

Many trails in Yellowstone are well-worn. However, I would have concern about GPS working in areas that have tree cover. I have never used one there, so this is assumption.

Pam

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,245 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: visiting yellowstone in September

GPS can be helpful but I wouldn't depend on it. Always take a map and compass and know where your are approximately always. GPS can have batteries die, drop and break, get wet. You can also lose signal in forested areas or inside canyons. Nice to have and store your waypoints as you go and be able to backtrack or store locations of places or photos. You can also use software and load your waypoints before you go to guide your trip.

GPS augments map and compass and doesn't replace it. imo

Edited: 05 June 2012, 20:05
Pine Prairie...
Level Contributor
45 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: visiting yellowstone in September

Our GPS was spotty. You don't really need unless you will be on trails. Make sure to buy map and bring compass, especially noise makers and pepper spray if hiking. Yellowstone is alive in Sept. The elk are everywhere and so are the buffalo. My favorite time to go. Enjoy the colors of fall. Making me jealous.

7. Re: visiting yellowstone in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 18:42