We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Weeks Camping & Hiking: Questions

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
2 Weeks Camping & Hiking: Questions

First, a shout-out to Yellowstone-TA for a great site. I've gotten some ideas for our Denali site from you all.

My husband & I are in Red Lodge for a while & just today I decided to go into Yellowstone for a 2-week solo trip, starting this Friday (yep- on the spur of the moment LOL). The joy of retirement...

I normally backpack, but it's been years since I've been in Yellowstone so will tent camp this exploratory trip. I've read a lot on here, hemmed & hawed, then decided to bite the bullet & reserve a campground. The only one available today for that length of time was Bridge Bay.

From there I want to day hike. My interests are seeing wildlife, waterfalls & views, not so much geothermals or heavy tourist trails.

I am looking for hiking trails up around wolf territory, Slough Creek area. Also hiking trails in the Bridge Bay to Hayden Valley area. Or any other area with a great trail.

I do have Robt. Stone's Beartooth hiking guide that I use around Red Lodge & he has a few in the park.

But would love to know some of your favorite hiking trails please.

1. Re: 2 Weeks Camping & Hiking: Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10 July 2016, 01:56
USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 Weeks Camping & Hiking: Questions

Ystoner- I just can't thank you enough for a wealth of info. I will go with your above suggestions for guides.

Perfect!

Thanks,

Denali Cat

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 Weeks Camping & Hiking: Questions

Oh good grief- that very cool on Google earth. I'm playing with it now.

The local bookstore has the Nat'l Geo map.

Will check out your list, Ystoner.

4. Re: 2 Weeks Camping & Hiking: Questions

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

5. Re: 2 Weeks Camping & Hiking: Questions

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
6,304 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 Weeks Camping & Hiking: Questions

please be careful and very bear aware! lone hiking is high risk, you never know where the bears are. Bear spray is very important, and let someone know your plans.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 Weeks Camping & Hiking: Questions

" .... have a good time & don't get eaten by a bear."

Hey- I'm an Alaskan backpacker with quite a few bear encounters under by belt so I sure hope one of your Yellowstone grizs is not the one that finally gets me. If I'm going to be eaten by a bear, it better be one of our Denali bears!

Kidding aside, I am very bear-aware. But I always listen to warnings to remind myself the rules. Thanks!

Edited: 05 June 2012, 02:59
Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
6,304 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 Weeks Camping & Hiking: Questions

excellent- glad you are not a newbie trying that adventure. Have a great time in the park- anything you do will be great!

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,271 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 Weeks Camping & Hiking: Questions

<< I am looking for hiking trails up around wolf territory, Slough Creek area. >>

As Ystoner points out, wolves are viewed from the road. That said, some of the hikes to consider between the NE entrance to the park and Tower/Roosevelt are ...

The Slough Creek trail is gorgeous all the way to the park boundary, open meadows, relatively little elevation gain/loss except in the first mile or two.

Specimen Ridge, starting from either the Yellowstone picnic area or the signed Specimen Ridge trailhead, gives you a little more vertical in the first mile or two, then wide-open-space hiking on top of the world on Specimen Ridge itself. The ridge isn't really a ridge once you get up there, but rather a wide, relatively flat expanse. Expect to see pronghorn up there, they seem to like it up there.

Pebble Creek, from either the foot of Pebble Creek trail just east of the campground, or from Warm Springs. Possibility of some diverse wildflower displays as you go through both woods and meadows. If you are ambitious, prepare for a ford to lengthen your hike somewhat.

Trout Lake and Buck Lake make a nice shorter hike, with the possibility of watching the otters at Trout Lake.

I treat all of these as out-and-back hiks, requiring no spotting of a vehicle at the "other end." Carry water, camera and bear spray on any of these hikes. Adjust the length of any of them according to your wristwatch. Plan to be out of the park by nightfall so you don't find yourself driving in the park in the dark.

Above all, enjoy!

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,271 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 Weeks Camping & Hiking: Questions

As for tent camping in this area, neither Pebble Creek nor Slough Creek campgrounds are open yet, but if they are open and a spot is available when you come through, I would grab it.