We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What makes sense for us?

Wenatchee...
Level Contributor
464 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
What makes sense for us?

We are coming from Washington State in September, with no particular time frame to visit YNP, although I understand four days is a good amount of time to hang out...after we leave there, we are headed to Moab, UT. I figured we would enter through West Yellowstone (would you stay there all four nights?) or would you move from there and stay a couple nights elsewhere (maybe near the South entrance, as i assume that is where we would want to exit from (and I guess that takes us through Grand Teton?). This is my guess after a really quick overview....we want to see the obvious things, maybe hike a little. Also if you could tell me where there will be no bears, that would be great. J/K! :-)

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,313 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What makes sense for us?

When in September? Who will be coming- adults, kids? Any restrictions- health wise? If you have unlimited time, 4 full days in the park, one for Cody, one for Beartooth highway and 2 more for Grand Teton would make a nice trip. Others come from you direction and will advise on entering. Splitting the stay into 2 places makes it easier to see the park. You will need separate lodging for GTNP and YNP, while they are "close" there is no lodging that works well for seeing both.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
23,122 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What makes sense for us?

Yes, it will depend on when in Sept you plan to visit as lodging starts closing down after Labor Day in the Park. If you cant get in-park lodging thru Xanterra (only book thru them) then West Yellowstone is a good base. If you can add days and include the sights mentioned by thbergs, all to the good.

If you do wind up being able to do Beartooth Pass, then I would do 2 in the Gardiner area plus nights at West Yellowstone.

If you are up to a long drive your first day, you can make it from Wenatchee to either Butte (484 miles, 7:45) or Bozeman (567 miles ~9 hours) the first night. Then the next day you could continue on I90 to near Billings, drop down to Red Lodge and cross Beartooth to enter the NE entrance. I would stay in Gardiner that night at least and maybe the next night so you could finish up at Mammoth and see other things along that route. This route would be totally weather dependent. The earlier in Sept the better for Beartooth.

Then if you are flexible enough with time (and money, lol) spend another 3 nights in West Yellowstone or if you can get something in the park, Canyon, Lake or Old Faithful. I would not stay at Grant Village which is too far south.

Getting to GTNP you would exit thru the south entrance, but you could stay in West Yellowstone to do that.

If you don't want to do Beartooth, then it is very easy to get to the West entrance from I90 and staying in West Yellowstone is fine for 5 nights (4 full days).

There are bears everywhere and they are hungry in September!

Pam

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
32,622 posts
448 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What makes sense for us?

Here is a link to the must sees in Yellowstone- to help you plan your trip-

http://yellowstone.net/intro/top-10/

Great info from above posters. Best time to come would be after Labor Day until mid-September weather wise and when more in park lodging is open.

Call Xanterra and check for lodging in the park then if no in park try West Yellowstone. 4 days would be good for YNP, 1-2 for GTNP and 1 for Cody if time.

It will be a long drive from Jackson Hole to Moab- a minimum of 9 hours.

Enjoy your trip planning!!!

Wenatchee...
Level Contributor
464 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What makes sense for us?

THanks everyone!!

5. Re: What makes sense for us?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2013, 23:17