We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where do you get ice?

san francisco
Level Contributor
723 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Where do you get ice?

Contemplating a multi-state driving trip this summer, we'll be bringing a cooler and we will want ice probably every day.

Not having much experience here, where do you buy ice while on the road, with a minimum of stop time? 7-11? Some days we will probably not be near any large towns. What about within the parks (we'll be in YNP 6 days and GT 3 days right after that).

Thanks,

Bill

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,588 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where do you get ice?

Almost all gas station/ convenience stores in both large and small towns sell ice, usually you will see a huge box outside of the store. Also most grocery stores do too. Inside the parks you can get ice at the small grocery stores at each main area (Old Faithful, Canyon, Lake etc)

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where do you get ice?

In the parks they have it at the general stores.....and if you are staying in Roosevelt or any of the in park lodging you can get it right there. Especially if you have your own gallon size zip locks...just fill them and pop em in your cooler!!

san francisco
Level Contributor
723 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where do you get ice?

That's a great idea about those gallon bags!

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where do you get ice?

I can NOT take any credit for them....I am just passing along some invaluable advice I received on this forum from the wonderful folks here!!!

Illinois
Level Contributor
507 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where do you get ice?

I stole that idea too - otherwise, would've just put ice loose in the cooler, which would not have worked nearly as well for what we want to carry. Thanks for the tip!

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
5,828 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Where do you get ice?

A block of ice will last a lot longer and can be easily bought inside the park.

Deb

USA
Level Contributor
21 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where do you get ice?

Zip bags-don't leave home without them! Too many uses to count! That's what I usually use in the cooler, but we've just returned & I had another method of storing ice. I'd purchased a big plastic water bottle, but quickly found out that it was too heavy to carry. In the morning before setting out I'd pack it w/ice & a little water & put it in the cooler too. Later in the day it was just right to refill our average size water bottles after we'd drained them-2 uses for the price of one!

Cinnaminson, New...
Level Contributor
588 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where do you get ice?

We've been doing the gallon sized ziploc bags since 2008. I don't want to take credit, but I have mentioned it here on quite a few occasions :)

The bags are great for ice. We usually stay at Roosevelt or Canyon, and they have the ice machines, so we just fill them up first thing in the morning and they usually hold all day in the coolers.

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where do you get ice?

Thats ok Tom.....you can have the credit for it....its a great idea!!!

10. Re: Where do you get ice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 10:15