We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Horseback Riding - Yellowstone or Grand Tetons?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
159 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Horseback Riding - Yellowstone or Grand Tetons?

Last year while in Yellowstone we did the 1 hour ride out of Mammoth Corrals. All of us are novice riders and I saw on the forum that 2 hours could be a lot for beginners. This worked out fine and we all enjoyed it. This year we will be by the Tower area, Canyon area and Grand Tetons. I see that they have corrals in Yellowstone at Tower and Canyon and both offer 1 hour rides. My wife gets slightly nervous and I heard that the trails at the Canyon and Tower are steeper than Mammoth. Is this really a concern? Are we better off riding in Yellowstone or somewhere in Grand Teton?

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
8,278 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Horseback Riding - Yellowstone or Grand Tetons?

Tower/Roosevelt is a beautiful area to ride. I think you would enjoy it.

Hopefully daughter will chime in with more specifics for you.

Edited: 19 June 2012, 19:00
Burlington, Iowa...
Level Contributor
618 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Horseback Riding - Yellowstone or Grand Tetons?

I haven't done the ride at Canyon myself but did both rides at Rosie and loved both. Canyon rides got canceled a lot due to bison/bear issues. Both the Rosie and Canyon areas are going to be steeper than Mammoth but much more scenic also. I haven't done any in the Tetons but I'm sure that would be a gorgeous ride also.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
453 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Horseback Riding - Yellowstone or Grand Tetons?

My daughter and I did the one hour Canyon ride a couple years ago. She was 9 at the time and had NO problems what so ever. I'm not sure who is saying the trail was steep because I certainly don't recall it being steep at any point. What I DO recall is that it was one of the best short rides I've ever taken! We started out across a meadow in which buffalo were seen in the distance, we then entered woods in which they pointed out a tree where there were scratch marks from a bear, we then went over to the rim of the canyon (basically touched it) and headed back making a loop. We really enjoyed the variety of meadow, woods and canyon. The trail was perfect for any age and I would certainly recommend it!

Illinois
Level Contributor
507 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Horseback Riding - Yellowstone or Grand Tetons?

Is it necessary to reserve days in advance for the Yellowstone rides mentioned above, or can you reserve upon arrival at the park or even just walk up on the day you want to ride? Thank you for any info!

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
8,278 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Horseback Riding - Yellowstone or Grand Tetons?

I think the rides usually book up well in advance in the park.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
159 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Horseback Riding - Yellowstone or Grand Tetons?

Last year we went at the end of August and were able to walk up at Mammoth and get right out. It was nice to have the flexibility with dates and time but this year we are going in mid July so I'm sure it will be a lot more crowded and it would be disappointing to miss out.

If we go out of Roosevelt we may try to see Lamar valley first. Does it take long to get from the valley to the Roosevelt corals? Do we have to worry about the heat if we go out in the middle of the day?

Burlington, Iowa...
Level Contributor
618 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Horseback Riding - Yellowstone or Grand Tetons?

It varies from day to day but I would recommend reservations, especially for the 2 hour rides. The rides at Mammoth were not as popular so availability was better.

It depends on which part of the valley you're in. It takes about an hour to get from Rosie to Cooke City, depending on stops. I would give yourself plenty of time to get back. I'd hate for you to get stuck in a bison jam and miss your ride. There are no refunds.

It can get a little warm so I would wear a hat and sunscreen. It may get a little dusty also if it hasn't rained in awhile.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
159 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Horseback Riding - Yellowstone or Grand Tetons?

Thanks. We booked the 12:15 one hour ride out of Roosevelt. Figure that will give us plenty of time to see the Lamar Valley in the morning.

Indian Harbour...
Level Contributor
337 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Horseback Riding - Yellowstone or Grand Tetons?

My son and i took the 1 hour ride out if canyon last week. For him it was great! For me, boring. The ride went into sage country and never left. We made a loop out in front of the lodge and never got close to any woods or canyons. I would have preferred that. We saw 2 bison and 1 pronghorn. My son is 8 and it was his first time on a horse. They did not let us ride close together. They took all the kids to the front in case of any emergencies. I was stuck near the back so i did not get to enjoy the ride with him. But, for him just being on a horse was awesome. He had a great time.

10. Re: Horseback Riding - Yellowstone or Grand Tetons?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2013, 20:47