We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

June 2012 Trip Pics

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
5,209 posts
1 review
Save Topic
June 2012 Trip Pics

My grandson and I just got back from our annual June tent camping trip. We stayed at Tower Campground June 20-21 and then at Bridge Bay Campground June 22-25th. It was the first time we stayed at Tower and we really enjoyed it.

Our wildlife count wasn't as good as last year's bonanza but we still did pretty well. Final count was 9 grizzlies, 11 black bears, 4 coyotes, 1 wolf, 2 badgers, 2 pikas, 3 snowshoe hares, 1 fox, and 2 beavers. We don't count bison, elk and other assorted animals.

We went on quite a few hikes totally about 40 miles. The two more spectacular hikes were Bunsen Peak with a side hike down to Osprey Falls and off-trail hiking to a cliff atop Speciman Ridge. We had planned on hiking all the way to the Petrified Forest but it was really hot that day and there was not shade so we decided to turn around.

Here are some of the over 2000 photos we took over the 6 days.

…photobucket.com/albums/…

A video of our badger encounter. It was taken with my little point and shoot.

s928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/Deb1741/…

Our next trip to Yellowstone will not be until October. We are going to Glacier for 6 days of hiking starting July 21st so that will cut into our YNP trips a bit.

Deb

Edited: 27 June 2012, 04:11
Worcester...
Level Contributor
687 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: June 2012 Trip Pics

Wow. Nine grizzlies!

Lansing, Michigan
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: June 2012 Trip Pics

Thanks for sharing all the pics. Will check them out more closely when I have a bit more time. Sorry we missed you -- had to get all those newbie Yellowstone things off our list. That Bunsen hike looks tempting! We LOVED Mt Washburn!

Where did you end up seeing pikas!? Other than the stuffed one my son got, we couldn't find a one!

We found our selves saying "Next time we'll...." so I have a feeling we'll be back again sometime!

Thanks again for the great photos and wonderful info!

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,209 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: June 2012 Trip Pics

Adriana....most of the grizzlies we saw were through binoculars or in terrain not conducive to taking photos. The best sightings were seeing Scarface for the first time as he is a legend and seeing the grizzly sow with 2 two year old cubs that we spent hours watching each day last summer again. My avatar is a pic of the smallest cub swimming the Yellowstone River in front of us last summer. Unfortunately they were too far away for our 300 mm lens but it was a very memorable moment for us.

Dragonfly....alligning itineraries for a meet up is easier said than done. Glad to hear that you had a great time. I agree that Mt Washburn is a "must do". It was probably a good thing you didn't go with us on the Petrified Forest hike. While we had the fantastic badger encounter on that hike we took a wrong trail and ended going off-trail for awhile. We then decided to ditch the entire hike due to it being very warm that day with no shade the entire ridge. We did have some totally awesome views and it was totally worthwhile.

The pikas were at Hellroaring. This time we went completly around the front side back probably 150 yards to another rock pile.

Deb

Worcester...
Level Contributor
687 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: June 2012 Trip Pics

I'm very glad I got to see Scarface. There seem to be a lot of sightings of him lately.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: June 2012 Trip Pics

Deb thanks for sharing. I thoroughly enjoyed your report and photos!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,412 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: June 2012 Trip Pics

Thanks for the photos!! You will love Glacier too- have a great time!!

Marlborough...
Level Contributor
513 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: June 2012 Trip Pics

great pics! you had a lot of great animal encounters. love the pika pics (of course) we saw one at hellroaring too but it was just a flash. we saw him skitter over some rocks, he stopped, looked at us, then skittered away.

didnt get any pics but i was so happy just to see one! we also went all around the rock piles towards the back til i got nervous that we were wandering around "off trail" too much and a bear would pop out any moment and eat us.

have a great trip to Glacier!!! sounds like you and your grandson have a lot of fun together!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
352 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: June 2012 Trip Pics

Deb - I'm in the initial planning stages for a trip to Yellowstone (hoping for 2014 for our 30th anniversary). Love your photos! What camera/lenses did you use for your wildlife shots? I have a 55-210 zoom - will that be enough, or should I start looking for a 300mm or 400mm lens?

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,051 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: June 2012 Trip Pics

Excellent pictures Deb! Thanks, as usual, for sharing.

Pam

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,209 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: June 2012 Trip Pics

MamaGrumpy....some of the pics were taken with my nikon coolpix10x zoom point and shoot and some were taken with my Nikon D90. It has 2 lenses with the biggest going up to 300mm. I would love to have a bigger lens but there is no way I can afford it. I might look into a teleconverter that will boost the lens power up a little more. I use the little camera because it fits in a little pocket on my backpack and I let my grandson use the D90.

If you look at each photo individually you can click on the "photo info" icon and see which camera was used and was the focal length was.

Deb