We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping in Yellowstone

New Castle, Indiana
13 posts
Save Topic
Camping in Yellowstone

We want to camp at Yellowstone and currently have a 4 night reservation at Canyon Village Campground (and a night previous at Cody WY). Will we be okay at only staying in one location or should I try to make reservations at two places. It takes lots of time to move camps so I would really like to stay at one if not too much trouble with seeing the park.

Mentioned in this post
Canyon Village Campground
292 Reviews
Yellowstone National Park, WY
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
#1 of 17 Speciality lodging in Yellowstone National Park
Roosevelt Lodge Cabins
Roosevelt Lodge Cabins
#2 of 17 Speciality lodging in Yellowstone National Park
Madison Campground
Madison Campground
#3 of 17 Speciality lodging in Yellowstone National Park
Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
10,613 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping in Yellowstone

Canyon is a pretty central place, so it should work and save the time it takes to move.

chicago, illinois
Level Contributor
154 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping in Yellowstone

You'll appreciate staying put in Canyon for its amenities: Shower, Laundry, Shops, Grocery & Restaurants nearby, Ranger Program, Visitor Center.

Your big day will be your Old Faithful Day - Old Faithful is about 1.5 hours from Canyon, barring any unforeseen bison/wildlife jams. But going to Old Faithful gives you the opportunity to travel the full bottom loop of the figure 8 Yellowstone Park Roads.

Mammoth Hot Springs too, is a bit of a distance - 1 to 1.5 hours depending on your route and traffic - the Upper part of the Figure 8 with Tower Fall, Roosevelt, along the way, and the Lamar Valley as an offshoot.

Mentioned in this post
Old Faithful
Old Faithful
3,943 Reviews
Yellowstone Park Hotel
Yellowstone Park Hotel
623 Reviews
West Yellowstone, MT
Mammoth Hot Springs
Mammoth Hot Springs
1,654 Reviews
Tower Fall
Tower Fall
263 Reviews
Lamar Valley
Lamar Valley
2,371 Reviews
Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping in Yellowstone

If I had 4 nights in Canyon Campground I would stay there.

Your driving may be affected by construction around Tower, so check with the visitor center when you arrive at Canyon.

Edited: 29 June 2012, 21:56
4. Re: Camping in Yellowstone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2012, 17:35
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
96 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camping in Yellowstone

Hi Lori

We recently got back from a trip to Yellowstone and had originally booked 4 nights at 2 sites (2 at grant village, and 2 at madison). When we got there we decided to change our plans to spend 1 night at each of four sites (Grant, Canyon, Tower Falls, Madison) - to minimise driving. Originally I was not keen in packing up and moving but because you have to pack most stuff away in the car (because of bears) we found it didn't make much difference. I guess it depends on how much stuff you have.

And yes, try to get to Grand Teton - the scenery is spectacular!

www.alittlebigapple.com

Mentioned in this post
USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Camping in Yellowstone

I have camped in the park for almost 20 days this June, although I am just scratching the surface & am no expert LOL .

I see that you are a family of 4 with a pop-up tent trailer. I think being able to leave the pop-up tent trailer at Canyon & traversing the park in your vehicle will work well, rather that dismantling it & then towing the trailer from campground to campground.

Plus there is running water in sinks, flush toilets, a dish washing station, showers, kids riding bikes around the campground loop & lots of space in the campsite.

I found Slough (& Pebble) to be very close to neighbor campers, although they are more wilderness campgrounds with pit toilets, old-fashioned water pumps & no generators (& no dishwashing station- dishwater must go down the pit toilets)

I got to the first-come campgrounds at 6 am to secure a site as I moved from campground to campground.

With a family, I would stick to reserved campgrounds. And 4 nights at Canyon would certainly work.

chicago
Level Contributor
222 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Camping in Yellowstone

Lori if you could post an equipment list and what your priorities are (fishing? hiking? Wildlife watching? etc) we could provide more detailed feedback. The big campgrounds are nice places for kids to bike.

Denalicat - good points about the closeness of Yellowstone campground sites. Many of the sites in the park are way too close together, especially Pebble. But Pebble has so few sites it's not too big of a deal. The walk-in tent area is pretty darn nice and it's way out of the way compared to most of Yellowstone.

The campgrounds in Glacier and Grand Teton are a couple notches better than Yellowstone. Especially Glacier's, which are IMHO the finest national park drive-in campgrounds in the country.

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
783 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Camping in Yellowstone

I booked tent camping in Canyon and Grant (family of 5, wife wants amenities). After reading above, I am now considering Grand Teton for Sat. Aug. 4th. It appears getting a spot on Jenny Lake would be difficult. BTW, what amenity does Jenny Lake campsite have? Flush toilet? Shower? Also How is Colter Bay campsite compared to Grant in Yellowstone (scenery, setting wise)?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Jenny Lake
Jenny Lake
537 Reviews
Moran, WY
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,879 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Camping in Yellowstone

Colter Bay CG is beautiful and has showers, store, museum nearby. Flush toilets in the campground. I haven't stayed at Grant, but being able to see the beautiful Teton's over Jackson Lake is beautiful.

Mentioned in this post
Jackson Lake
Jackson Lake
366 Reviews
Grand Teton National Park, WY
chicago
Level Contributor
222 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Camping in Yellowstone

Hi Daniel,

Getting a site at Jenny Lake is difficult. You basically need to get there by 7 to 8 a.m. during busy season. The sites are HUGE and the campground is gorgeous and super quiet. Jenny Lake has a log cabin bathroom with running water. I'm not sure about showers as I use the "cold bucket of water" method when camping. Colter Bay does have showers, however.

Colter Bay is a great campground as well, and the "hub" of the northern portion of Teton. The tent loop is on a forested plateau above the other sites, and a five minute walk through a pretty forest to a marina, eatery, grocery store, and souvenir shop. There's also a gas station and a mini-mart.

Take a five minute walk to the east and you arrive art a gorgeous beach with shocking views of the Tetons. Many of the sites in the tent loop have views of the Tetons, too. Although the loop is close to those amenities, it does a good job of making you feel like you're in the woods. Outside of the minimal development,. the Colter Bay area is very wild and IMHO one of the most beautiful places in the national park system. The scenery is a few notches better than Grant. Jackson Lake is huge, and the Tetons are so striking.

You'll also be close to Oxbow Bend (moose, classic scenery), Signal Mountains Lookout (bears, views), and the Grand Teton Park Road ( cross over the dam heading south and you're on the right one). Grand Teton Park road, heading north to south is an absolute must do and perhaps the most mind-blowing drive in the national park system.

Mentioned in this post
Jenny Lake
Jenny Lake
537 Reviews
Moran, WY
Jackson Lake
Jackson Lake
366 Reviews
Grand Teton National Park, WY
Oxbow Bend
Oxbow Bend
222 Reviews