We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging and an itenaray

Iowa
Level Contributor
123 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Lodging and an itenaray

My husband and I got a wild hair and just decided to go to book a trip to Yellowstone for July 13 through the 18th. We're empty nesters and we tend do this. We've booked the flights and the car Now we're looking at lodging. I've looked online and I know we an get lodging (expensive, but we won't be sleeping in the car). My question is.. Do we want to book one location and have a "home base" or do we want to travel around and stay at different locations? If we want to travel around can someone give some sort of idea of locations that would be good? Also, it looks like from reading this forum that everyone has an itenarary. Do we need one? We're at a point in our lives that we just like to get up and go. ( you can tell that by the fact that we're booking a vacation just two weeks in advance!)

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodging and an itenaray

Good for you!! I love trips like that!! It is better if you do a couple of different areas in the park as it is huge. If you could get something if the OF area and the say canyon or Roosevelt that would be a good split. As for itinerary, people like me for instance are planners by nature. You do not need a specific itinerary per say, just know things that are important for you to see. Look at the top must sees in the park and choose the ones that you want to focus on. If you try to see, do too much, it will not be enjoyable. You can also just get to where you are staying and see where the day takes you!!! But from everything that I have read..........and believe me that is everything I can get my hands on for the past year, the best areas for wildlife are Lamar Valley and Hayden Valley,so staying in Roosevelt if you can get the lodging for part of your trip ( or Canyon) is a good thing!! Good luck....and all of this info was given to me over this past year by the WONDERFUL folks on this forum...I am just paying it forward!! I have not even been to the park yet, 31 days until my first trip!! Have a BLAST!!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,161 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodging and an itenaray

Having just been through the reservation process (looking at both camps and lodges in the park in July) . . . you may have some challenges in finding anything for your dates. If you haven't already, you really need to see what is available and book ASAP. Reservations can be canceled so long as done at least two days in advance.

Here is the link to the official park lodging vendor's website w/ reservation system: http://www.yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/ .

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,610 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodging and an itenaray

How many nights in Yellowstone and how many in Grand Tetons?

Suggestions-

July 13- spend night in Gardiner as per Pam's suggestion on your other post

July 14-16- Yellowstone- call Xanterra- 1 night at Old Faithful and 2 nights in either Canyon or Lake Area- Grant Village and Mammoth are not my favorite places to stay- if no in park then stay in West Yellowstone

July 17- Jackson Hole or Grand Tetons- lots of hotels in Jackson Hole and two affordable places in Grand Tetons are Colter Bay and Signal Mt.

July 18- Gardiner or Billings- depending on when flight is on July 19

Good luck and let us know if you have more questions!!

East Tennessee
Level Contributor
632 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lodging and an itenaray

I recommend calling at least 3 times per day inquiring about availability of Park venues. We did that on the last trip out and eventually had our choice of the Park properties from which to choose to stay in.

The Park is very large and a map of the Park loop can be deceiving. For sure, stay at Old Faithful (classic wonderful property worthy of your time just sitting and studying the construction of this beautiful classic place).

Next is Roosevelt as being in the NE corner with tons of wildlife. Tower is also good.

These two properties give you a good base camp to cover the North and South loops.

After these two, you can easily cover the remaining sections of the Park from the OFL and Roosevelt Cabins.

Great place but make sure to spend a couple of days in the Grand Tetons.

5. Re: Lodging and an itenaray

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2013, 10:17