We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip report: day 2 6/18/12 (with pics)

Marlborough...
Level Contributor
520 posts
140 reviews
Save Topic
trip report: day 2 6/18/12 (with pics)

yeah i dont know about the formatting with this word press thing so keep scrolling through any big empty gaps.

day 2 is up. if you missed previous days they are just below day 2 in reverse chronological order

…wordpress.com/category/vacation/

st louis
Level Contributor
264 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip report: day 2 6/18/12 (with pics)

Great report. It was really windy when we went up at the end of August last year .We went up the Washburn side. We did not see any bear or sheep.I did see a quick flash of a Pika at the top. My husband said I was trying to kill him when he saw where we were going. The wind is brutal on your lips. Take lots of chap stick .I am glad you still had a good hike even without the Pika. I can.t wait for the next report.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,215 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip report: day 2 6/18/12 (with pics)

Nice "next day" report. I am glad you labeled the photos of the "mountaintop marmot" as I had a photo of one of them back in 1995, including it coming after me at the Old Faithful bench area, and wasn't sure what type of animal it was.

Mentioned in this post
Old Faithful
Old Faithful
3,928 Reviews
Yellowstone National Park, WY
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
23,222 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip report: day 2 6/18/12 (with pics)

TimeshareVon, laughing at the marmot attack! I had my nephews in the park with me many years ago and they were eating red licorice while walking the boardwalk from Geyser Hill down to the Grand area. The marmots were actually stalking them...

Lisa, really cute pictures of the otter and the cubs! Aren't they just the cutest things?

Pam

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
448 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trip report: day 2 6/18/12 (with pics)

Thanks again- great trip report and photos!!

Thornhurst, PA
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: trip report: day 2 6/18/12 (with pics)

What a great report! Thanks for sharing.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,215 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trip report: day 2 6/18/12 (with pics)

D0bby it was wild, literally . . . LOL . . . in that I was just sitting there on the bench waiting for OF to erupt. It was wandering around munching on grass. I took a photo or two. It then jumped up on the edge of the sidewalk platform (like a wood 2x4 railing). I got a photo of him sitting up on that. I didn't move closer or away, just sat there and photographed him. Next thing I knew, he was coming at me my last photo of it was a blur as I yelled and probably ran away.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
23,222 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: trip report: day 2 6/18/12 (with pics)

Laughing like a loon...because I know you are not supposed to run from bears, but not sure about the run vs stand your ground protocol with marmots!

The next thing will be marmot spray.

Pam

(Glad you were not hurt, and so sorry to find such humor in what was not really a funny situation at the time!)

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
449 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: trip report: day 2 6/18/12 (with pics)

Another great report! So jealous of the otter sighting.

"Blue Steel" - LOL!

Marlborough...
Level Contributor
520 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: trip report: day 2 6/18/12 (with pics)

all the marmots we saw seemed a tad ornery. i mean we didnt have any issues but they looked grumpy.

we went to sheepeater cliffs and someone was climbing up one of the basalt columns for a picture and apparently the marmot must have had his home around where the guy was climbing cause he was clearly agitated with him.

i was fortunate that i had a few "blue steel" moments with animals. i had many look right at me. the squirrel was the best example of "blue steel' though lol

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
324 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: trip report: day 2 6/18/12 (with pics)

Thanks for another great installment!