We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Birds in September

Canton, Ohio
Level Contributor
108 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Birds in September

I'm interested in any notable birds that we can spot in Yellowstone or GT. I'm from Ohio, so I'll even be on the lookout for the plentiful ravens!

So far, I've read about some that I have yet to see: Stellar Jay, White pelican, golden eagle, Great grey owl, Black-backed and Three-toed woodpeckers, Mountain bluebird, Mountain chickadee and I'm sure many more. Oh, or waterfowl! Will they be migrating through? I'm still new to spotting birds.

If there are particular spots that you can recommend, I'd love it!

Edited: 02 July 2012, 18:35
Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
449 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Birds in September

Here are some sightings we had in June:

Pelicans at Fishing Bridge

Williamson's Sapsuckers at Calcite Spring (dead tree to the left as you go up the wooden steps & boardwalk from the parking lot)

Western Tanager at Tower Fall

Mountain Bluebirds common around Old Faithful, bridge over Firehole River near Oblong Geyser (lots of Tree Swallows there too)

Violet-Green Swallows very close at Inspiration Point (Canyon)

Osprey nest to the left of Lookout Point - opposite the lower falls as you are standing there (Canyon)

American Avocet in Hayden Valley

Northern Flicker along Taggart Lake trail in Grand Teton

That's about all I remember.

-Tim

Edited: 02 July 2012, 18:59
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,321 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Birds in September

Here's the big list!

nps.gov/yell/…birdlist_2011.pdf

Tim saw a bunch of birds! I am jealous of the sapsucker sighting.

You can also see white pelicans all along the Yellowstone River in addition to Fishing Bridge.

Stop at LeHardy Rapids as they sometimes float there. Look for dippers there too.

Great Blue Herons, sometimes at Nez Perce Ford picnic area. There is a rookery on the island in the river just to the south of the picnic area. Also along the Madison and Firehole

Northern flicker nesting in the Tower Jct sign. (someone has had a picture of that lately, maybe Valiantsontour??)

Trumpeter swan on the Madison River near the bridge on the West entrance road.

Sandhill cranes, from one of the pullouts north of Fountain paint pots, looking west, also across the road from the trail head for Specimen ridge road

Killdeer IN the water in the terraces at Mammoth

Swainson's hawk up by Canary Spring at Mammoth

Someone else also posted a picture of the Great Gray owl at Mammoth (maybe Angela?) Ask at the Mammoth Visitor Center.

Sit on the 2d floor deck at the Old Faithful Inn and there are often the violet green swallows nesting in the eave areas.

LisaPunk posted pictures of cliff swallows at Soda Butte. (Walk around behind the butte.)

Bald eagle along the Madison on the West entrance road, Fishing Bridge, Otter Creek picnic area, basically anywhere.

Golden eagle nr Fishing Bridge

Peregrine Falcon from overlooks north of Tower

Birds are everywhere!!

Pam

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,321 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Birds in September

ummm, forgot Harlequin ducks at LeHardy and Barrows Goldeneye in Floating Island lake West of Tower Jct.

I can't remember if we have nagged you to get Yellowstone Treasures by Janet Chapple. I was just flipping thru to see the name of Floating Island, and she does often list birds you can see in certain locations.

Pam

Canton, Ohio
Level Contributor
108 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Birds in September

Goodness! This is super! Thanks!

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
449 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Birds in September

Oh, one more - sandhill crane that regularly stays in the area around Teton Park Rd. near Willow Flats in Grand Teton NP. Sometimes we saw him on north side of the road, sometimes on the south side.

Forgot to mention the cliff swallows all over the Lake Hotel.

Edited: 02 July 2012, 21:46
Canton, Ohio
Level Contributor
108 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Birds in September

Any new birds of interest, since the trip is one month away? I've noted all the ones that were mentioned before... thanks!!

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Birds in September

There were mountain bluebirds a plenty at mormon row in GT. We also saw plenty of white pelicans, quite a few osprey,golden eagles,bald eagles, sandhill cranes, blue herons, cliff swallows, falcon,as well as many I didnt even know what they were!!! It is a bird lovers paradise!!!

Canton, Ohio
Level Contributor
108 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Birds in September

It's finally September and our trip is less than two weeks away! Any good bird tips as of late? I'm still especially fond of eye-balling one of those on my initial post. We are arriving the 15th, so I'm curious if the birds that migrate out will still be there. Sure would like to see a white pelican!

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,321 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Birds in September

I have seen white pelicans the end of Sept, so you should be fine. Your best places for them would be from Fishing Bridge and south to the N. end of the Lake plus Fishing Bridge North thru Hayden Valley. Be sure to stop at LeHardy Rapids, go back in to Nez Perce Ford Picnic area, stop at Otter Creek Picnic area, plus the river all the way up to the Canyon area.

In Denalicat's latest TR, she saw swans on the Madison River between Madison Jct and West Yellowstone. As you head west on that road, start looking once you get to 7 mile bridge then watch the river very carefully as the road follows it west. When you see the sign for Riverside Dr. drop down there and park on the left. I have seen a swan hanging out in the water there for many years. In years past there have been bald eagle in this area as well, but no one has mentioned them in a trip report this year!

I've seen Stellar's Jays, Gray Jays and Clark's nutcrackers while eating lunch at Nez Perce Picnic area.

You will probably see mountain chickadees everywhere.

I have often seen mountain bluebirds at Mammoth. Walk the boardwalks thru the lower terraces away from the conglomeration of people near Liberty Cap and look in the trees (or skeletons of trees) there.

Also, stop at the Visitor Center at Mammoth. I usually wait until there is not a huge clump of people around and ask about great grays. There has been one at Mammoth in the last couple of years. Ask if they are near the visitor center. If they are not able to tell you much, go out the front door of the visitor center and go around to the small street behind the VC. Walk east looking up in the big trees between the VC and the next buildings. Stay on the street (not in the yards) as these are private residences back in here. (And are also Old Fort Yellowstone buildings!)

As I said before, Golden Eagle can be anywhere. The last sighting I had was from Fishing Bridge. It was up in the trees looking for lunch in the river. Take your time here and have a seat for a bit if that fits in to the schedule. I seem to have better luck looking south toward the lake, but that may just be random!

I've never seen woodpeckers in the park, so can't give you any advice there. I would ask at each Visitor Center what birds people have been seeing and where. The Rangers are so well-versed in so many things!

Keep notes because we expect a full bird report when you get back!

Pam

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Birds in September

Thanks for the birding in Sept info. Mr is a budding birder & bringing me into the bird'seyeview.. But now it means we will need another pair on binos!

I'm printing this for our trip. thanks

Get answers to your questions about Yellowstone National...