We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 day trip... What to do.. What not to do

Bradford...
5 posts
Save Topic
10 day trip... What to do.. What not to do

Flying into Denver, renting car. We have 10 days to see anything and everything in Yellowstone and beyond.... any thoughts on where/what we should see? 2 adults kids 16-15-12.

Also, since we have no set plans.. will lodging be hard to find?

THANK YOU!!!

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 day trip... What to do.. What not to do

This Year??? or are you planning ahead for next? Because finding in park lodging for this summer will be very hard to find. It IS possible to get cancellations, but if there were specifics you wanted, you may not get what you hope for. We booked a year ago for our trip this august. It is possible from what I have read lately to get something in west yellowstone, and maybe nights here and there in the park if you check Xanterras on line sight each and every day or more for cancellations. Good Luck....and happy travels!

Worcester...
Level Contributor
687 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 day trip... What to do.. What not to do

When are you coming in? Also, you'll never see everything. But with that many days, you can make a great dent and take the time to enjoy yourselves.

Bradford...
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 day trip... What to do.. What not to do

We are going this year... in fact leaving 7-12-12 :) We were not sure what to expect, and didn't want to be rushed, so we have not made any plans.... Hope it doesn't backfire on us....

Worcester...
Level Contributor
687 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 day trip... What to do.. What not to do

That's going to probably backfire. Start calling Xanrerra today. You'll most likely be staying in West Yellowstone for most of it, providing there are rooms. There are still cancellations being made 48 hours in advance, so if you get rooms you aren't keen on outside the park, make sure they have a cancellation policy. West Yellowstone isn't bad, many people prefer it. It just means more driving time and you have to be more aware of sunset times.

Edited: 03 July 2012, 19:13
Worcester...
Level Contributor
687 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 day trip... What to do.. What not to do

Xanterra- oops. That's the park concessionary for lodging.

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 day trip... What to do.. What not to do

WOW.....like in 9 days!!! Are you planning on trying to get acommodations or are you just going to "wing" it?? Have you read up on the area? It is massive, usually to tour the park the experts say to try and break up your lodging into 2 or 3 different parts of the park. But many on here have stayed in west yellowstone and ventured out each day to see all the different sights that each part has to offer. Also west yellowstone area seems to have many different eateries and things kind of like a little town of sorts. Keep us posted, you have me fascinated over this now.....I am a "planner" so to me this is very interesting and foreign!!! LOL

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 10 day trip... What to do.. What not to do

>>>and you have to be more aware of sunset times<<<

Which will be around 8:30p next week and into the following week.

Bradford...
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 10 day trip... What to do.. What not to do

I am a HUGE planner... but its time for me to try something new? :)

Does anyone have any ideas on things we should not miss?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 10 day trip... What to do.. What not to do

Ya know, I too am a huge planner and for most of my trips, I begin more than a year out. Like you, I'm heading to Yellowstone with not a lot of indepth forethought and planning. I have been able to make some reservations for camping inside the park, rather last minute (within 10 days of my arrival) so maybe you'll be lucky in finding something too. I did see some lodging available but at a price higher than I wanted to pay, so you could find something as well.

As for things to "not miss" I really believe that a park like Yellowstone with all of its natural beauty and impromptu wildlife viewing opportunities, really makes it difficult to actually "plan". I am going into it planning to be at some of the more known wildlife viewing areas at dawn & dusk in hopes of seeing (and photographing) some great sights, but who knows?

Beyond that, I'll be filling in with visits to the areas that most suggest, on the loop roads. If you and your family are up for hiking, there are also some great trails to take in. Do you (or any of the others in your family) have any physical limitations? That may help you decide what to tackle if there are places you can't (or shouldn't) attempt.

Reading trip reports here on TA will be a good start for you to figure out what's out there and available that may be of interest to you & your family. I am also using a Frommer's guide, although they are typically not as good as real life experience that is more current and "real time" than a book written several years ago.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,621 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 10 day trip... What to do.. What not to do

Hmmm, I'm thinking that this was not the trip to try winging it! But, that is the path that you are on, so let's see how to make it work.

Great points made already about lodging. Good luck with finding cancelations, as I think that staying in the park is the way to go. That said, there are good options outside as well, as mentioned, just means a bit more driving.

As for things to do, check out the trip report archives at the link below:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60999-c170600/Yellow…

These will provide details on things to see and do through out the park, as well as ideas on lodging and places to eat.

Did you mention the types of actvities that you are interested in, or what you want to get out of the trip? That info will be helpful in guiding you.