We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fires

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
1,386 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Fires

Are there any wildfires hitting Yellowstone? I thought I heard on the news this morning something about fires and Wyoming, but I missed the story. I am getting nervous for our up coming trip!!!!!

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fires

There was a fire outside the park near Cooke City that closed the Beartooth one day last week but is 54% contained & projected to be contained this week according to US forest service:

http://activefiremaps.fs.fed.us/#

As you can see on the map there is also a larger fire near Moran, Wyoming, a gateway to GTNP.

We need rain without lightning!

Edited: 07 July 2012, 14:29
Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,605 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fires

The Bear Cub fire is in the Teton Wilderness Area and is many miles east of Moran. I rode all day yesterday in the area a little east of Moran and didn't even notice any smoke.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fires

That's good news, Bill.

I see it is 6,000 acres 22 miles east of Moran.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,605 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fires

My wife and I, plus a guide and 2 wranglers, are doing a 7-day pack trip next week into the North Absaroka Wilderness Area, so we're watching any nearby fires pretty closely. Nothing to worry about so far.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fires

Have a great trip, Bill. I'd love to hear about it!

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,605 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fires

Thanks, Denalicat. Part of our route will overlap with the (presumed) route of the Nez Perce eastward from the Yellowstone boundary, so it should be interesting. My guess is that we won't see another soul all week.

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,334 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fires

The wildland fire near Cooke City got out of hand and flared up today, but we also had a nice shower. Not sure what the net effect will be. So far, YNP has been lucky this year.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fires

Thanks, Bill. I'm driving back into Lamar on Wednesday for a week in the park, so will have to keep an eye on my Beartooth route.

round lake beach...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Fires

We will be traveling through the Yellowstone nat. parks june 21st 2013. Are these areas still good for travel?

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
7,284 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fires

evelyn, that is too far out to know. fires are day by day, sometimes hour or minute, so check the link given and for current posts when your time arrives.

Get answers to your questions about Yellowstone National...