We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellowstone RV camping

Bremerton...
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Topic
Yellowstone RV camping

Going to yellowstone next august. Would you recommend staying at one campground or move around. we are also going to Grand Tetons. My thought was 3 nights at canyon then go to tetons for 2 nights then back to madison for 3 nights or just stay for 5 nights at Grant village then go to tetons for 3 nights

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
5,858 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yellowstone RV camping

Grant is not centrally located for seeing all of the park. Are you towing a car, or seeing the parks in your RV?

Bremerton...
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Yellowstone RV camping

Truck with travel trailer

Edited: 11 July 2012, 03:22
Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
5,858 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yellowstone RV camping

Then you could do two locations or one, depending on how much time you want to spend moving vs time backtracking. Driving the same road repeatedly is not a bad thing- you may see different things (critters) on any trip. However, 2 locations would give you less of that and more time to explore the area as opposed to more driving. If you prefer to settle in and not uproot the trailer, that would work from Canyon. I am not an RV camper- others will give their expert opinion. Happy planning!

4. Re: Yellowstone RV camping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2012, 17:35
Walker, Minnesota
Level Contributor
264 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Yellowstone RV camping

We had 2 weeks last Sept and this worked well for us. First 3 nights we stayed at a campground in West Yellowstone. The next 2 nights we were at Fishing Bridge campground. We then went to Gros Ventre campground for 2 nights north of Jackson. There are no hookups here but worked ok for 2 nights. We brought a small generator and a battery charger in case I needed to recharge the battery-but it wasn't needed. They do have fresh water and a dump station. From there it was convienient to go to Jackson and surrounding area including ski lift to top of mountain at Jackson Hole Resort. We then spent 2 nights at Colter Bay RV Park. Beautiful campground but was the most expensive at $56.00 per night. They also have a no hook up campground there also-I think about $20.00 per night. We then spent 2 nights-one full day at Cody where we took the road up the Beartooth Mountains. I wish we would have had one more day to spend in Cody. Every place except Gros Ventre we were able to make reservations. I like to have a solid plan. The Fishing Bridge Campground is as every one says it is-sites are tight. We had no problem backing our 33ft travel trailer into our site but we did watch someone for about an hour keep trying to get into theirs. Just depends on expirience/ability I guess.

Larry

Bremerton...
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Yellowstone RV camping

What do you think of staying in Canyon the whole time in yellowstone as a base just as to not having to move. I know it would include more driving but I could also make reservations. Thanks for all the good info.

chicago
Level Contributor
222 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Yellowstone RV camping

I think it's perfectly reasonable. Just beware that Canyon seems more like the intersection of a town than a national park area. There's a busy strip mall across the street, too. If you are okay with that, Canyon is quite nice and a stellar central location.

Being in an RV, you won't notice the noise as much. Norris is also a very good campground, but first come first serve.

Canyon is a good bet. So is Bridge Bay. It all depends on what your main trip priorities are. But four days in Canyon and four in Colter Bay is a heck of a trip, no question. You will see and do many great things.

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
5,858 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yellowstone RV camping

As long as you are fine with the kind of campground at Canyon, it should work fine, it is pretty central. OK for Hayden in the morning, ranger programs for the evening, many services. I love to be at the overlooks of the canyon in morning and evening- we have had them all to ourselves- it was great! Driving over roads more than once just increases you wildlife opportunities.

Walker, Minnesota
Level Contributor
264 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Yellowstone RV camping

Initially planning our trip I wanted to stay in one place also. But after spending a lot of time on TA I realized the size of the park and changed my mind. Either way you will have some back tracking but thats ok. You never know when you will see wildlife. We usually saw elk going each way by the Madison River. It doesn't bother me to hook up and move, but it may to others. Its up to each persons desires. Both nights we stayed at Fishing Bridge we drove up to Lake Butte Overlook to watch the sun set-spectacular!

Larry

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,780 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yellowstone RV camping

Yes, staying at Canyon for your trip would be great. We visited the campground and loved the sites there. I really would not consider the Canyon shopping, dining, museum area a strip mall. Yes there are people and cars, but not really a busy strip mall and no Subway or $1 stores, lol!

nps.gov/features/…17456.jpg